starting strength gym

Thread: Press technique

Default Press technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hello,

please give me feedback on my press. I thinkt that the bar path is not 100% vertical, or the bar is too far back, is that correct?

Yah, there are several things wrong with your press. I'm an amateur, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but...

The bar needs to rest on your front delts. The bar also needs to rest on the bony part of your palm with your elbows forward. Then press the bar up with the bar closer to your face. The key is that you need to maneuver yourself around the bar, whereas right now you're maneuvering the bar around you. You might have to lean back a little on the ascent to do this. Adding some weight might help.

Dude, for the eleventh time: you need to post form videos with actual weight on the bar. Doing reps with an easy weight is different than doing them with heavy ones.

Carlos,
    why is it written in the book the exact opposite as you tell?

It isn't.
    It says warm up with the bar, then add weight till the last rep or so gets a little slow, do two more sets with that weight and call it a workout. Since it's been quite some time since you posted your bench and squat videos, I'm under the assumption that you are at least reasonably strong by now and can put a little bit more weight on that bar before the last rep gets slow.

This has to be performance art.

A lot has happened since June, I see: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=17687

I have not performed the press since then.
    You canīt even imagine how that pisses me off that I cannot perform the exercises correct. I dont know how to bring my elbows in front of the bar. This is anatomically impossible for me or Im not flexible enough.
    Would you please help me?

New Video with more weight
    Last edited by strengthbeginner; 11-19-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Maybe it'll be easier if you hold the bar just a little higher, on your shoulders rather than your chest. Maybe a little in front of your shoulders if you're inflexible. Put the pins at the appropriate height, grab the bar tightly, and then aggressively step underneath it, whipping your elbows forward as if racking a clean. (You won't go as far forward as a clean, and you won't let your wrists bend as much.) The momentum of stepping forward will let you get your elbows further than they would have if you took the bar out leisurely and then tried to get into position.

Keep your head back, as if someone's trying to choke you. Then start the press by trying to hit your nose with the bar. Move your nose backwards to avoid succeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by strengthbeginner View Post
    I dont know how to bring my elbows in front of the bar. This is anatomically impossible for me or Im not flexible enough.

I had a similar problem, which I corrected by using a slightly wider grip at the begining when 'resting' the bar on delts, gripping the bar just outside shouler width (though a little further than is suggested).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by strengthbeginner View Post
    I have not performed the press since then.
    You canīt even imagine how that pisses me off that I cannot perform the exercises correct. I dont know how to bring my elbows in front of the bar. This is anatomically impossible for me or Im not flexible enough.

New video looks good.