starting strength gym

Thread: new to squat - form check

Default new to squat - form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been trying to teach my friend how to squat. He's never done it before and we've been at it for a few weeks. His issues so far are not getting deep enough and letting the bar drift forward (near toes) toward the bottom. I've told him to shove his knees out, sit back more and get his back more horizontal, look down, etc. Any cue or other advice appreciated.

He's pretty tall, about 6'4'', weighs around 225. This set is him doing 165. Sorry about the video, the rack is in my dining room and I'm as far away as I can get in the kitchen to get as much as I can in frame.

http://youtu.be/btoS-cFjySo

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

There are two problems more fundamental than what you've identified.

(1) Take a look at how he's coming out of the hole. What is he leading with? What should he be leading with?

(2) The lower back completely loses extension on the way down.

The first problem undermines the purpose of the squat. The second problem creates a whole bunch of inefficiencies and can lead to injury. Those are the two things I'd fix first.

OP, i apologize for derailing the thread so quickly, but I have to ask about your username? Was Haywood Jeffries your favorite player on Tecmo Super Bowl? Did you know that it's actually spelled "Jeffires" (I didn't until googling him after seeing your username.) Or are you actually the ex-Houston Oilers Wide Receiver, and accidentally misspelled your name upon registering?

Again, I apologize, but inquiring minds want to know.

An inquiring mind wants to know.

(1) Take a look at how he's coming out of the hole. What is he leading with? What should he be leading with?
    Leading with his chest? Guess I was focusing on other things (first time coaching and there's a lot of issues to look at). Is last rep any better? To be clear, by leading do you mean coming up first or something else? I thought chest and hips were supposed to come up at the same time. What's the best way to get him to come out of the hole correctly? I've had him do the demonstration where I push down on his lower back as he drives his hips straight up and looks both up and down.

Advice to fix this one? I haven't had him do the thing where he lies on the ground and lifts head/feet so maybe I'll try that.

OP, i apologize for derailing the thread so quickly, but I have to ask about your username? Was Haywood Jeffries your favorite player on Tecmo Super Bowl? Did you know that it's actually spelled "Jeffires" (I didn't until googling him after seeing your username.) Or are you actually the ex-Houston Oilers Wide Receiver, and accidentally misspelled your name upon registering?
    Unfortunately it's the latter. I am indeed the early 90's Houston Oilers wide receiver, and did in fact misspell my name. Perhaps subconsciously I've always wished my name was spelled this way. I have the same hopes for Anfernee Hardaway and Dwyane Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by Molyneux1234 View Post
    An inquiring mind wants to know.
    Sorry, my love for all things early 90's NFL knows no bounds. I'll try not to project this on others in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood Jeffries View Post
    Unfortunately it's the latter. I am indeed the early 90's Houston Oilers wide receiver, and did in fact misspell my name. Perhaps subconsciously I've always wished my name was spelled this way. I have the same hopes for Anfernee Hardaway and Dwyane Wade.
    I understand this well. If only "tiger" was really spelled with a Y. I'll let you get back to talking about training now.

The first problem undermines the purpose of the squat. The second problem creates a whole bunch of inefficiencies and can lead to injury. Those are the two things I'd fix first.
    Thanks for your reply, Brodie, I'm the newbie in the video. I'll work on the things you wrote.

Do you think that will fix my depth? When I watch my buddy squat and others in videos, I just don't see how people get so deep! Part of it must be flexibility, but I've been stretching out for over a month now. It seems like if I could lean back more, my butt would get lower and the bar would move over the middle of my foot, but when I try to do that I feel like I'll tip over. And when I do it without the bar, I do fall on my arse!
    Last edited by andrew jones; 08-31-2013 at 09:17 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Please don't un rack like that... you're going to hurt urself