starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    SS for about 7 weeks. This is my first work set of 310 for 5. I know my depth on the last rep is questionable, but other than that any suggestions?

Thanks for the input

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i8Q_rtdFH4

This was actually meant for Mark Rippetoe Q&A. I guess it got moved because I didn't greet him. Oh well.

They usually get moved due to obvious form errors. I can tell you that your neck is not in correct form. The whole movement looks a little strange as well but I won't attempt to comment as I'm sure the resident experts will be along to guide you properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
    This was actually meant for Mark Rippetoe Q&A. I guess it got moved because I didn't greet him. Oh well.
    I'm sorry. Is Rippetoe God or something? There are far worst squats in the God Q&A section.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusi View Post
    I'm sorry. Is Rippetoe God or something? There are far worst squats in the God Q&A section.
    And if someone had taken the time to compare, he could have found the obvious form errors.

In other news, Rip has limited time, and when he's busy, will kick a post over here so that someone needing some obvious help can get it quickly. You will note that Rip has not posted in a couple of days. He's busy. Get over it.

SS for about 7 weeks. This is my first work set of 310 for 5. I know my depth on the last rep is questionable, but other than that any suggestions?

Thanks for the input

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i8Q_rtdFH4
    1) Why are you exhaling on the way up? Hold your breth for the entire rep. THIS IS IMPORTANT. You can grunt, groan, wheeze, moan, cry, whatever at the top.
    2) You knees are caving in when you come up. Drive your knees out.
    3) How can someone who has read SS:BBT post this video of themselves, note the lack of depth on the last rep, and yet miss the fact that their head position is wrong?
    4) Chest up as you come up - on several of the reps, your hips are coming up faster than your shoulders. This is a function of low back / glute / hamstring tightness, so tighten all the up. and think "UP!" all the way down.
    5) STAND UP. Lock your knees at the top and stand all the way up. This is not a comment on your back angle - you are not standing all the way up with knees fully extended.
    6) Why is your left foot not turned out as much as your right? Concentrate on setting up more better.

1) Not trying to exhale/grunt/cry/scream on the way up, it just happens uncontrolably. I'll try to be more mindful.
    2) I'll try working on that
    3) Good point, didn't notice the head tilt issue.
    4) I'll try to stay tighter on the way up
    5) I feel like if I stand all the way up, the bar will roll down my back at the heavier weights. Any suggestions? Maybe shoulder flexibilty? I put my ring finger on the power lifting rings.
    6) I actually noticed that from the video too, but when I get set I always look down and make sure my feet are turned out the same. I think its just a bad camera angle that makes it look like that.
    Last edited by Michael Loucas; 11-28-2010 at 11:49 AM.

5) I feel like if I stand all the way up, the bar will roll down my back at the heavier weights. Any suggestions? Maybe shoulder flexibilty? I put my ring finger on the power lifting rings.
    No, you keep your back angle leaned over slightly to keep the bar over mid-foot, but you've got to lock out your legs all the way.

6) I actually noticed that from the video too, but when I get set I always look down and make sure my feet are turned out the same. I think its just a bad camera angle that makes it look like that.
    Look more carefully an note your left foot in relation to the floor tile. It's pointed almost straight forward. Now watch your set-up. You turn your right foot out, but not your left. Attention to detail is critical when you have a metric fuckton of weight on your shoulders!

I don't think the thread got moved, it would be marked "moved" if it did.

starting strength coach development program
    Alright, bout to go squat again. I'll record it and post results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast