starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sucktacular deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by shanuea View Post
    I don't particularly like it for cleans but I'm trying to get used to it as I've have heard on the forums that it is neccessary when cleaning heavier weights. Is this true?
    It is helpful, I don't know about necessary. I don't think you are going to need to worry about it until you are cleaning over 125% BW, and maybe not even then.

Quote Originally Posted by shanuea View Post
    I don't particularly like it for cleans but I'm trying to get used to it as I've have heard on the forums that it is neccessary when cleaning heavier weights. Is this true?

Grip strength is definitely not the only reason o-lifters use the hook grip. Using a hook grip makes for faster elbows, a quicker rack, and lessons the propensity to pull with your arms. There's nothing that says you can't accomplish all that without using a hook grip, but I think you'd be better off in the long run using it whenever, heavy or not, you perform o-lift variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazarov View Post
    Grip strength is definitely not the only reason o-lifters use the hook grip. Using a hook grip makes for faster elbows, a quicker rack, and lessons the propensity to pull with your arms. There's nothing that says you can't accomplish all that without using a hook grip, but I think you'd be better off in the long run using it whenever, heavy or not, you perform o-lift variations.
    Jesus... I think you've just converted me. I often find that I have a hard time with quick elbows wihen the weight goes up because my arms are locked onto the barbell with a tight grip.

The strange thing is that this is all in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Jesus... I think you've just converted me. I often find that I have a hard time with quick elbows wihen the weight goes up because my arms are locked onto the barbell with a tight grip.
    I had the same problem, especially when fatigued. With a hook grip, the whole cue about thinking of your arms as ropes really started working for me. Never mind I've actually thrown a loaded bar into a rack when it slipped out of my hands during the second pull while not using a hook grip (and thank god for the rack, otherwise bye-bye mirror). So I can't see any reason not to use it, especially because trying to learn it when the weight is really heavy will only be a bigger pain in the ass.

Well...that was an abysmal failure. I squatted 300x5x3 tonight and sort of deadlifted 290x5. The videos are below. While warming up for the dead I tried to apply as many suggestions as I could. Steve was exactly right about misjudging the 1" to the shins from the top. I made a 1" paper shim to set it and took a mental picture of my shoes. It puts the bar just behind the ball of my foot. I squeezed the hell out of my back to the point of it being painful. On the 225 warmup set the lift did feel much better. When I tried 290 however, all hell broke loose: rounded back, bar came away from the shins, etc.. The last rep I felt so gassed I had to swap to an alternate grip. It felt good to reach a new round number on the squat, but damn this deadlift is frustrating.

Squat 300 Set 1
    Squat 300 Set 2
    Squat 300 Set 3
    Deadlift 290

It might (I'm not sure) be that your anthopometry is not very suited to deadlifting. Your squats are deep so I don't know what could be going wrong.

OK, these actually look pretty good. You can work from here - your upper back is rounding, but that happens in some folks. Your 3rd and 4th rep were the best from a bar-path standpoint. Try to work from there. So drop some weight, and work on not letting your upper back round over - if you could combine what you had in the 3rd / 4th rep with your upper back in the first rep, you're where you need to be. This is because on the 3rd / 4th rep you did a better job of knee extension as you came up off the floor. Note on the 2nd rep how your shins are more vertical than on the 3rd / 4th. THis is also because you shorten your back by rounding over immediately when you come up off the floor. Carlos may be right that you have a real long upper body, and this may cause issues. Take the same position, and push out your knees a little more, and push them forward just a bit more (IOW, stand a little bit more back from the bar.

So, drop weight, make them a little better as above, then start adding weight again.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 12-08-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks for the feedback again. I'll drop 30 pounds from the bar to start and really concentrate on the form.

starting strength coach development program
    I didn't even watch the whole vid. Your hips start WAYYYY to high. Nice RDL. That's not a conventional dead. You need to get those damn hips down and drive with your legs in the beg and than transfer the load to the back. I suggest you work on your form before trying to lift heavy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234