starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squat/Power Clean Form Check: Crucify Me

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    It may "feel" safe to you, but as we've discussed your back and hips make their way to the correct starting position anyway. Not being in control of that process, with a bar swinging around rather than moving straight up, is more dangerous to your back than the correct form that you are afraid of. Don't you agree?

Someone with your post count knows that a huge number of the people that come here have not read the books. If some other guy showed up with clearly incorrect form, without explaining his history of injuries and other information, wouldn't you assume he or she hadn't read the books?

Lastly, my squats are fine now. I hope you improve your cleans, as well.
    I would assume that, except I have clearly posted and stated many times about the books. My history of injuries are listed on the first post of my training log (which was started in Afghanistan without the benefit of the books that I now have.) This is why I posted videos- because I knew that I needed improvement. I appreciate the advice, which I am going to be following tomorrow. I'm glad to hear about your squats, now if only i can do the same for my power cleans. Thanks again Robcor.
    Last edited by John2336; 12-12-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danish Viking View Post
    There's alot going on at the bottom of your squat. I couldnt get away with that much movement, but if you dont feel any ill effects, I guess it's non-consequential, considering it is a max effort. EDIT: Some of it might be fixed by looking down in stead of forward/up.

As for the cleans I'm no expert but I noticed a funny thing: You do start the movement with your shoulders behind the bar, but as soon as it leaves the floor, your scapulae are in front of it. You might get a better pull off the floor getting the position correct from the floor. On the other hand I once was recommended by a good OL-coach to pull the bar "towards my shins" at the beginning of the movement - which is kinda what happens in your pull. But if you are following the SS-technique, you need to get shoulders forward, and your ass higher.

And as mentioned your rack is enviable - and a 195 PC is pretty decent in my book.
    Thanks man. i can't argue with any of you- there is clearly work to be done on the bottom of my pull. I'll post back tomorrow. I may even take a new video to upload and see what you guys think.

The squats were my current 5RM. I'll try to look down a bit more and see if it helps. It's always made me feel unbalanced, but that may be something that you get used to really fast. I'll try that as well tomorrow. Can you clarify what you mean when you say that theres a lot going on at the bottom of my squat? Is this something that you think may be fixed by a narrower stance as well?

thanks for the compliment on my racking technique- i thought that was the worst part of my power clean lol.

Edit: I just took a really hard look at the power cleans video, and it was really obvious. I lean forward as soon as I begin to pull. That is something I would have never noticed had I not had you guys point it out.
    Last edited by John2336; 12-12-2010 at 06:13 PM.

I narrowed my squat stance about 3 inches of width total and felt more sable in the hole, but had a more upright torso. During the worksets I stuck with the narrower stance, and just really concentrated on pushing my butt back, and my torso was back to normal.

Power cleans were an epic failure. three of my sets of 200 ended with me doing high pulls. I correctly put my shoulder blade further forward, raised my hips a bit, andtightened up my back. The pull feels straigter now. I also feel that the rack is better, because before sometimes it would knock me back a tiny bit, and now it just settles straight down. I just didnt have as much strength in the new position though, and I'll have to work on it. I think I may have been thinking so much about my position in the beginning of the pull, that i was not thinking about snapping my traps in the second half of the pull.

I'll give it another shot Friday. Thanks again for the advice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by John2336 View Post
    I was finally able to get my squat and power clean on video tommorow.
    Wait... Wha?

Steve, the screen captures on video did an amazing job of describing the fault of starting with hips low and shoulders back. Nice one.

I'm pretty sure I meant "on video today." Pretty sure. Although I may have meant it as stated. Not to sure.

Quote Originally Posted by John2336 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I meant "on video today." Pretty sure. Although I may have meant it as stated. Not to sure.
    Hmmm
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is one of the most extraordinary ventures in the history of catering. It has been built on the fragmented remains of… it will be built on the fragmented… that is to say it will have been built by this time, and indeed has been—

One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem in becoming your own father or mother that a broad-minded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. There is no problem with changing the course of history—the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. All the important changes have happened before the things they were supposed to change and it all sorts itself out in the end.

The major problem is simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be descibed differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is futher complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later aditions of the book all pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term "Future Perfect" has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be.

To resume:

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is one of the most extraordinary ventures in the history of catering.

It is built on the fragmented remains of an eventually ruined planet which is (wioll haven be) enclosed in a vast time bubble and projected forward in time to the precise moment of the End of the Universe.

This is, many would say, impossible.

In it, guests take (willan on-take) their places at table and eat (willan on-eat) sumptous meals while watching (willing watchen) the whole of creation explode around them.

This, many would say, is equally impossible.

You can arrive (mayan arrivan on-when) for any sitting you like without prior (late fore-when) reservation because you can book retrospectively, as it were, when you return to your own time (you can have on-book haventa forewhen presooning returningwenta retrohome).

This is, many would not insist, absolutely impossible.

At the restaurant you can meet and dine with (mayan meetan con with dinan on when) a fascinating cross-section of the entire population of space and time.

This, it can be explained patiently, is also impossible.

You can visit it as many times as you like (mayan on-visit re-onvisiting... and so on - for further tense correction consult Dr. Streetmentioner's book) and be sure of never meeting yourself, becauses of the embarrassment this usually causes.

This, even if the rest were true, which it isn't, is patently impossible, say the doubters.

All you have to do is deposit one penny in a savings account in your own era, and when you arrive at the End of Time the operations of compound interest means that the fabulous cost of your meal has been paid for.

This, many claim, is not merely impossible but clearly insane, which is why the advertising executives of the star system of Bastablon came up with this slogan: "If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?"
    So *I* for one can see how you were able to get something tomorrow. I will be acquiring an education many years ago, you see. Saw. Having been seen. Or something.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 12-13-2010 at 02:36 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Well at least someone understands...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123