starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Check Form Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    Ah yes, the corelation arguement, which ignores the fact that Rip is not trying to train advanced lifters (which is more a funciton of programming and not technique anyway), but is trying to teach beginners. Something he's had a bit of success at.

If you don't like what Rip teaches, why are you here? Or are you positing that Rip is right about a lot of other things, but in this one instance is horribly wrong?
    I haven't read Rip's books to be honest. I'm not a beginner. All you need to do is look at my numbers or come to my gym and you'll easily see that.. I'm here b/c this is an interesting board which caters to individuals who are striving to be the strongest version they can be. It's not a board where everyone is drugging out of their minds, trying to be as lean as possible so they can pose on a stage performing their mandatories.

I offer advice which has worked well for me and others, you don't have to take it. That's entirely up to the indvidual who I'm posting to.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    I haven't read Rip's books to be honest. I'm not a beginner. All you need to do is look at my numbers or come to my gym and you'll easily see that.. I'm here b/c this is an interesting board which caters to individuals who are striving to be the strongest version they can be. It's not a board where everyone is drugging out of their minds, trying to be as lean as possible so they can pose on a stage performing their mandatories.

I offer advice which has worked well for me and others, you don't have to take it. That's entirely up to the indvidual who I'm posting to.
    A perfectly reasonable reason to be here!

You realize of course that your statement above is correlation as well, right? Not to mention argument from authority?

So really, what is the logical basis for looking up, other than the old brogymmagic "you go where you look" which is silly on its face, because otherwise you'd have to look STRAIGHT up. Right?

I say this because there ARE very logical reasons for a beginner to look at a point 6' away instead of a nebulous one up on the ceiling. The floor is always in the same place, no matter where you lift, which gives you a consistent point of reference. Ceilings, however, vary. The cervical spine is protected because it's in a neutral position. Etc, etc, etc.

Maybe instead of arguing from your authority, you can try and educate yourself a bit before trotting out crap like "Well when Rip has someone who's squatting 1,000lbs you let me know ok."

I mean, I'm pretty sure you haven't, so by that logic, why should anyone listen to you?

The problem that I have is that most people here are training in the context of SS:BBT, so when they ask if something is right, it's usually asked in the context of what's being taught in the book. So your advice, while well intentioned, may not be especially helpful, and could be confusing to someone who is trying to learn what's taught in the book.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 12-12-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Who said raw? I never claimed raw?

Few people ever squat 500lbs are your kidding me? There are a couple guys at our gym right now who squat that Oly Style with nothing but the bar, no belt, no wraps, no sleeves. Hell, even with my bad knees I've squatted more than 500lbs raw. It isn't till you hit 600lbs with a squat than you differentiate yourself from the pack. Just about everyone in my gym squats 400lbs Olympic Style which is MUCH harder than PLing style.
    Raw and equipped squats are two completely different animals. You're taking equipped squat technique out of context and saying it's what raw squatting beginners like spiderman should be doing.

Who said raw? I never claimed raw?
    Our friend, the original poster, is squatting raw, so your 1,000 pound squat example is not terribly relevant.

Few people ever squat 500lbs are your kidding me?
    Nope. I am not. What percentage of the world's population squats 500 pounds? Effectively zero. What percentage of the exercising populace squats 500 pounds? Still, effectively zero. What percentage of recreational strength athletes squat 500 pounds? A pretty small percentage. My statement that few people squat 500 pounds stands.

There are a couple guys at our gym right now who squat that Oly Style with nothing but the bar, no belt, no wraps, no sleeves. Hell, even with my bad knees I've squatted more than 500lbs raw.
    You work out at an unusual and unique gym with a population that is selected by its owner for dedication and drive and you are a veteran strength athlete with years of hard training under your belt. You are among the few. Really. 500 pound squats do not grow on trees.

It isn't till you hit 600lbs with a squat than you differentiate yourself from the pack.
    Amongst serious and professional athletes, yes. Amongst the rest of the world, that is an unimaginable number.

Just about everyone in my gym squats 400lbs Olympic Style which is MUCH harder than PLing style.
    You will note that they are not squatting 500 pounds. My statement still stands that few squat 500. Further, Coffee's Gym is not a normal place. It has an unusual concentration of strong, talented people.

However, the issue at hand is looking up. Feel free to address any of my points on that topic.

Thanks to those who have given feedback about my squat form. It seems I'll just stick with what I'm doing for now which is great news.

By the way, I don't think I'll ever be making a 500 lbs squat one of my goals.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    Thanks to those who have given feedback about my squat form. It seems I'll just stick with what I'm doing for now which is great news.

By the way, I don't think I'll ever be making a 500 lbs squat one of my goals.
    Except not quite so deep, pls.

Except not quite so deep, pls.
    What's wrong with going to the depth I am going?

BrotherIron lifts at Coffee's? Excellent! I used to lift there in the 80's. John taught me how to C&J back in the day. I used to train with Robin Goad. Can't remember here maiden name (I think it was Bird), but I remember Robin!

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    What's wrong with going to the depth I am going?
    It's too deep.

starting strength coach development program
    BrotherIron lifts at Coffee's? Excellent! I used to lift there in the 80's. John taught me how to C&J back in the day. I used to train with Robin Goad. Can't remember here maiden name, but I remember Robin!
    Indeed. He's quite a strong motherfucker, too. I don't know if he trains full time at Coffee's these days or not. He would be able to answer that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast