starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice form help needed.

Default Novice form help needed.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok so Im new at this. Never did these before last week. Ive read the book and trying to use form correct. But I work alone and would like feedback on what to do better. Sometimes my squats do not feel correct on working sets.

The dead lift is not a working set but form I think is same. Excuse camera angles I was not sure which would be best to show form.

dead lift
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha_dIT1zu6g
    press
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdI4jce1sg
    squat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lL7qKt8QiE

Thanx for any feed back

Deads - [edited out]

Press - bar path is not vertical. Squeeze your lumber spine and bend backward more at the hips (but don't lose the tightness in your abs in doing so!). Use the camera or a friend to make sure you are starting in a position so that the bar is starting directly over mid-foot.

Squat - squat deeper. Shove your knees out more. I can't comment on your feet placement since I can't see them, but you may need to point your toes out more to allow you to shove your knees out, which will help you squat deeper.
    Last edited by Megabreth; 12-13-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Cuz people make mistakes, amirite?

DL:

You are not squeezing your chest up. Lifting your head is not squeezing your chest up. Without dropping your hips, try to point your tits at the wall.
    Also, turn your toes out more and push your knees out into your elbows.
    Finally, read the sticky on posting videos. You need to back the camera up, because we need to be able to see the whole bar for the whole rep.

Finally, for the love of god, clean that rust off the bar. It's a fine piece of equipment, and you should take better care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Megabreth View Post
    Deads - very nice! Maybe squeeze your chest slightly higher.

Press - bar path is not vertical. Squeeze your lumber spine and bend backward more at the hips (but don't lose the tightness in your abs in doing so!). Use the camera or a friend to make sure you are starting in a position so that the bar is starting directly over mid-foot.

Squat - squat deeper. Shove your knees out more. I can't comment on your feet placement since I can't see them, but you may need to point your toes out more to allow you to shove your knees out, which will help you squat deeper.
    Ok thanx much. my feet placement is maybe a little narrow. Im gonna work on this today. Also gonna change angle to see where the bar is on my press.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    DL:

You are not squeezing your chest up. Lifting your head is not squeezing your chest up. Without dropping your hips, try to point your tits at the wall.
    Also, turn your toes out more and push your knees out into your elbows.
    Finally, read the sticky on posting videos. You need to back the camera up, because we need to be able to see the whole bar for the whole rep.

Finally, for the love of god, clean that rust off the bar. It's a fine piece of equipment, and you should take better care of it.
    Thank you steve. I will do the things you said. point my tits at the wall I think that will stick as a cue. About the rusty bar. Yeah I just purchased this equipment used so I have what I have for now. Not sure if the rust will come off. I will however after the holidays hopefully get a new bar from rogue. Thanx again!

@ megabreth

You for sure helped my squat today. Im trying to focus on many things because Im not at second nature with these lifts yet. Back aligned-toes pointes 30 deg-wrists straight-grip correct-correct spot on back-drive with hips..I really havent been thinking KNEES OUT!! Man I thrust em out today on all my sets and went much deeper. actually felt that stretch reflex and made the hip drive natural. I put it in highlighted on my workout logs. I wont forget it again.

Deadlift: lower back is straight, great. Some people deadlift with a rounded upper back, that's fine. Keep it up.

Press: very good, don't worry about minor details.

Squats: too high and you seem to lack flexibility, google around for hip mobility exercises and stretches. Do it everyday on your days off, you'll be going ATG in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Deadlift: lower back is straight, great. Some people deadlift with a rounded upper back, that's fine. Keep it up.

Press: very good, don't worry about minor details.

Squats: too high and you seem to lack flexibility, google around for hip mobility exercises and stretches. Do it everyday on your days off, you'll be going ATG in no time.
    I agree I definetly need more flexibility. Will doing mobility exercises on days off effect my recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by danb6177 View Post
    I agree I definetly need more flexibility. Will doing mobility exercises on days off effect my recovery?
    Not at all

In the mean time focus on keeping your chest up and stop bending forward like that.
    Last edited by Carnivroar; 12-13-2010 at 06:29 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Not at all

In the mean time focus on keeping your chest up and stop bending forward like that.
    will do. thanks.. I think today I didnt lean after I fixed my knees issue. Was not pushing them out and it was screwing with my balance. Im gonna post new vids in a week or so after incorporating the advice Ive gotten here.
    Last edited by danb6177; 12-13-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast