starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Clean racking low ( amongst other things )

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Also, it's not like Dimas is doing a donkey kick and getting hang time. When we say "jumping" and "coming off the floor", I don't think it's ever much more than an inch or two for a good lifter, but I'm pulling that figure out of my arse - they move very quickly.

To the OP, make sure you're not using your arms to pull, make sure you're punching your elbows through, and make sure you're pulling yourself under the bar with your traps. Figure out what order the comment applies in.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    Yes, and in a lot of cases, if one looks carefully, feet come off the floor well after completion of the jump, not as a result of it. IOW, feet come off the floor specifically for the purpose of moving them wider, and this is a volitional act - they are lifted off the floor. Which also aids in getting under the bar.

Anyone who has watched Dimas extensively will see this.

Ah, so you'd not be off the floor at full extension, but you may leave the floor because you're putting your body in a squat position faster than gravity can pull you into a squat...

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Ah, so you'd not be off the floor at full extension, but you may leave the floor because you're putting your body in a squat position faster than gravity can pull you into a squat...
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    We can't see it from here. Read the sticky and post a video.
    Here's some vids I shot today. Not my regular Power Clean day but I figured I'd go with 2 attempts for the sake of critique

This is a warm up

This is near max

Rip it appart. I await your first volley lol

Thanks my guys !

Quote Originally Posted by TheTonyT View Post
    Here's some vids I shot today. Not my regular Power Clean day but I figured I'd go with 2 attempts for the sake of critique

This is a warm up

This is near max

Rip it appart. I await your first volley lol

Thanks my guys !
    OMG that dude behind you on the right (your left) is the shit. Work boots and gloves in the gym? Core.

In the 220lb Powerclean, it seems like you
    1) don't use the hook grip which can create a series of errors in technique by tensing the biceps/forearms, preventing an efficient and fast elbow whip
    2) You bend your arms, before you triple extend. Hence, you lose potential power.
    3) You dont actually finish the pull
    4) You lean back and spread your feet wide, when you receive the bar. This may be the result of all previous 3 errors.
    5) You must practice a FAST, a lightning fast, relaxed elbow whip, immediately after you finish the pull to receive the bar, just like in the SS DvD.
    6) Your starting position looks correct, though.

I'd start with keeping straight arms (CABLES!) all the way up till the bar is weightless. You're bendnig your arms badly and ruining all your pop at the top.

Go read the relatively new article about Finishing.

Adding to what's been stated above, as you start the pull on the 220lb PC, your knees bend inward.

Also, hook grip! Makes a huge difference for me.

Thanks broski's

So, basically the problem is ( besides going to a really shitty gay gym with terrible music and equipment) is that my arms arnt straight..wich is preventing power, and I need to punch my elbows faster...did I get that ?

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, hook is probably beneficial, but getting your arms straight will loosen up those muscles and automagically speed up your elbows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast