starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ways to fix GMing outta the hole...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    No way in hell that first video is too low.
    You are 0-3 on this argument. Going for 0-4?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Sorry Steve, but that person squatting in the video you posted seems to be rounding his entire back.
    Really? I would have thought Rip would have said something....

What you are demonstrating is that you can't tell the difference between back rounding and butt-wink. THis is about par for the course with your demonstrated observational ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Hendrix View Post
    Interesting, I thought GMing out of the hole and rounding of the lower back were a function of tight hamstrings pulling the pelvic down. I'll post up a video in just a second of some squats a year or so ago, I still had the same problem, but it wasn't this drastic.

Don't mind the stupid ass Vibrams, I have since opted for a flat soled pair of NB, and will be picking up Chucks on Friday as well.

That isn't really a good morning at all and your depth is fine, you are far too slow coming up out of the hole though. Just focus on keeping the angle of your back the same on the way up as you have a slight tendency to move your ass up first, I'd hardly call it a goodmorning though and it isn't really that big a problem. You really need to come up out of the hole way faster though.

edit: And although you start with an exaggerated ass backwards movement, at the bottom your knees are a few inches beyond your toes which is pretty much perfect. Your squat looks great to me except for your coming out of the hole ridiculously slowly.
    Last edited by Jefferson; 12-18-2010 at 10:28 PM.

I have yet to find my SD Card...so I'm going to go buy a cheap one in just a bit and head back to the gym and see if I can't get some footage for you guys. I am having a ridiculously hard time figuring out how to keep my back angle the same throughout the whole squat, and I can't seem to drive outta the hole very fast at all.

Any tips before I head to the gym tonight?

If it's a question of not having enough strength in the hamstrings I don't think any cue would make a difference. Have you taken some weight off the bar?

Yep, I scaled back to 185 (from 205) and will probably stay there until I can do it easily, I tried 190 today and had a hard time keeping my back angle, so I'm back at 185. Looks like I'll be stuck at this weight for awhile.

Here's three sets I did tonight, I pyramided the weight since I was only doing this for instructional purposes and I already did my work sets this morning. Fire at will.

starting strength coach development program
    Your stance might be a little too wide, and your knees are not going forward enough in the beginning of the descent, so they end up doing so in the end, when they shouldn't.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123