starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ways to fix GMing outta the hole...

Default Ways to fix GMing outta the hole...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've always had this problem...ALWAYS. And now I need to fix it, since I'm essentially starting over from ground zero right now. Whether it be a technique issue (which is likely part of the problem since I have a hard time keeping my arch in the hole), or just tight hamstrings and weak spinal erectors (both of which I'm addressing at the moment since I'm trying to battle through some PFPS right now). What I need is a course of action to eliminate any weak spots I may have, so I ask ye ol' board members, how have you guys fixed this?

Currently, I'm doing good mornings and 45 degree hypers with a weight that I can get about 6 reps on (5 sets). Pathetic as it may be, I can only really do about 135 with a barbell and still hold good form doing GM's, the hypers I've worked my way up to holding a 45 and 25 on top of each other. Combine this with some PNF streches for my hamstrings and I think I have a winning combination, I emphasize the word "think" since it's not a strong point of mine (I'm kidding, sorta).

There's always more than one way to skin a cat though, so lay it on me.

If anything, GMing the bar out of the hole is caused by weak hamstrings, weak spinal erectors would result in back rounding. Maybe resetting the squat and would solve this.

losing your extension is likely the primary cause of GMing out of the hole. Fixing imbalances is a matter of reducing the weight to where you can get the form correct and progressing linearly back up to heavy weight.

A video is the king of diagnostic tools, though. Read the sticky on how to post em and give it a shot if you can.

Yeah, I plan on taking one on Friday, I had my camera with me today, but no SD card...lucky me. I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep my lumbar tightness and get proper depth. I stopped working out for 6 months to do a fire academy and between all the running and stair climbing I developed some serious imbalances that are killing my progress.

Are GM's and hypers not productive in lieu of squatting with linear progression and bad form? I'm still trying to nail down my form, and my knee is a SOB at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    If anything, GMing the bar out of the hole is caused by weak hamstrings, weak spinal erectors would result in back rounding. Maybe resetting the squat and would solve this.
    Interesting, I thought GMing out of the hole and rounding of the lower back were a function of tight hamstrings pulling the pelvic down. I'll post up a video in just a second of some squats a year or so ago, I still had the same problem, but it wasn't this drastic.

Don't mind the stupid ass Vibrams, I have since opted for a flat soled pair of NB, and will be picking up Chucks on Friday as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Hendrix View Post
    Yeah, I plan on taking one on Friday, I had my camera with me today, but no SD card...lucky me. I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep my lumbar tightness and get proper depth. I stopped working out for 6 months to do a fire academy and between all the running and stair climbing I developed some serious imbalances that are killing my progress.

Are GM's and hypers not productive in lieu of squatting with linear progression and bad form? I'm still trying to nail down my form, and my knee is a SOB at the moment.
    I say go down in weight until you can squat properly and then resume you linear progression.

If you current squats have the same problem as the ones in this video, then you problem is that you are going too low. Cut some depth and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    If you current squats have the same problem as the ones in this video, then you problem is that you are going too low. Cut some depth and you should be fine.
    I'll give it a shot on Friday, thanks.

You're also doing way to much hips-back-first and this pretty commonly causes these problems. A lot of people coming from the Stronglifts board do this (ie, me). Don't be afraid to let your knees go a little bit forward at the top of the descent.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    You're also doing way to much hips-back-first and this pretty commonly causes these problems. A lot of people coming from the Stronglifts board do this (ie, me). Don't be afraid to let your knees go a little bit forward at the top of the descent.
    Noted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast