starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Safety precautions for squatting and deadlifting..

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    Also, if you're adding weight each week to the deadlift, won't you eventually hit your 1RM? I thought this was considered an injury risk if you 1RM with that exercise.

Thanks for answering my questions.
    Rip has stated several times that he thinks one cannot achieve anything with 1RM or 2RM weights that one cannot achieve using 5RM weights. So you're not supposed to go any heavier than weights you can lift 5 times, not within this school of thought.

What do you do if you miss a bench press lift?
    Phone up Darwin and let him know that you got the message from the Gene Police to get out of the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by selters View Post
    Rip has stated several times that he thinks one cannot achieve anything with 1RM or 2RM weights that one cannot achieve using 5RM weights. So you're not supposed to go any heavier than weights you can lift 5 times, not within this school of thought.
    That is, for testing purposes, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    You either put it down on the safety pins, if you don't have any hope your spotter is paying attention, if you don't have either you'll just have to look silly by tilting the bar so the plates fall from the sleeves. If you have put collars on the bar, you are pretty much fucked, specially if you are benching heavy.
    This is important. Heed this advice. It ought to be self-evident, but many people are injured (some people die) every year bench pressing because of mistakes that could have been avoided.

1RM is for competition.

I don't know if I understand your question.

What I meant was that Rip says there is little reason to train the deadlift with 1, 2, 3, 4 reps because you'll achieve the same with 5 reps. Obviously it's allowed to fail at making the planned 5 reps, but one shouldn't aim for less than 5 reps on a set. If there's no chance at all you'll make 5 reps, you should reduce the weight a little. At least this is his recommendation for novice and most beginning intermediate lifters. It might be different for late intermediate, advanced, elite, competitive lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    1RM is for competition.
    Rip has also stated this, yes
    Last edited by selters; 12-16-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by selters View Post
    I don't know if I understand your question.

What I meant was that Rip says there is little reason to train the deadlift with 1, 2, 3, 4 reps because you'll achieve the same with 5 reps. Obviously it's allowed to fail at making the planned 5 reps, but one shouldn't aim for less than 5 reps on a set. If there's no chance at all you'll make 5 reps, you should reduce the weight a little.
    I don't know if that is entirely true. What I have heard from Rip is that testing a 1RM won't tell you anything that a 5RM hasn't already. I know he uses triples and doubles for other lifts but I never heard him say there is no reason whatsoever to do triples with deads.

What do you do if you miss a bench press lift?
    There is really no great way about it. You need to bench heavy with a partner. Bench is the one thing that cannot be done safely alone. You may get away with it but its not safe. I bench alone and therefore I cannot max my weight. sux but Ill live to tell about my squats : )

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by danb6177 View Post
    There is really no great way about it. You need to bench heavy with a partner. Bench is the one thing that cannot be done safely alone. You may get away with it but its not safe. I bench alone and therefore I cannot max my weight. sux but Ill live to tell about my squats : )
    I only ask for a spotter on my last set, and I know that if I'm in my second set I can feel if I won't make the next rep, so I rack it. No problems yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123