starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check please

Default Squat form check please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok been a bit struggling as weight goes up. Last week I stalled on this weight (was kinda sick though) and this week I was able to but not sure if form was good. Some reps felt good some did not.

This is working set #2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0f-nJkZgSM

This is working set #3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXQoluSwtX8

Any help is very appreciated. Im trying to think knees out and maybe thats happening but Im forgetting other things? It looks like i lean forward

Your knees are sliding forward a lot, consistently. I had this problem and my knees became less than thrilled about it. The knees should set about 1/3 of the way down and stay basically still until you come up. I slowed down my squats, which helped me focus on this aspect of the form, and once I had it resolved I sped back up to "normal" speed.

Also looks like you're a teeny bit high on most reps. That aside, they look pretty good.

Thanx Rob. A question about knees sliding forward. maybe I dont know what that means. When I squat I try to push my knees out. I thought forward meant not out? Im new to all this so forgive my ignorance. Am I not pushing them out or am I set them sooner? Im not sure I understand

Quote Originally Posted by danb6177 View Post
    Thanx Rob. A question about knees sliding forward. maybe I dont know what that means. When I squat I try to push my knees out. I thought forward meant not out? Im new to all this so forgive my ignorance. Am I not pushing them out or am I set them sooner? Im not sure I understand

See how your knees sort of "bounce" forward when you hit bottom? That.

Do you have SS? Go to the squat chapter and read about the terrible useful block of wood (TUBOW).

Check out this video. In the side view starting at 8 seconds, you can see that his knees are pretty still, especially the second rep.
    Last edited by RobCor; 12-22-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added vid

Yes I can see it now. Looks like im bouncing up off of my knees and I can see they move forward. I will referance the book now. Thanx m8

Dan, have you been introduced to the TUBOW?
    By the way, nice music!

Rob's video shows a guy doing a high bar squat, so there are some things you don't want to emulate there provided low bar is your goal. I'd also like to see you in some proper shoes. Squatting in socks has its downsides.

Keep your chin down. A neck in neutral alignment is better for the spine, helps with the low bar squat, and may, in your case, help you get that sliding forward problem under control.
    As mentioned earlier, some of your reps are high. Some are okay.
    One those occassions when your knees really slide forward, you tend not to get them forward early enough in the movement. The low bar squat is a posterior chain driven movement. When the knees come forward at the bottom, you are taking tension out of the hamstrings, which is a no no. You do not want to slacken anything at the bottom of the squat.

Ok re-referanced the section of SS. Actually I think Im gonna just read the whole squat chapter over and over again until I get it right. Also gonna get the dvd after Christmas. Havent had the chance to try the TUBOW yet due to being sick again (bug going around my house) but hopefully Ill make my friday workout n try it then.

@TomC Yes my intent is to get some decent shoes. Got 4 kids and Christmas is here so right after that Ima go get something. What are the downsides of squatting barefoot? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by danb6177 View Post
    Ok re-referanced the section of SS. Actually I think Im gonna just read the whole squat chapter over and over again until I get it right. Also gonna get the dvd after Christmas. Havent had the chance to try the TUBOW yet due to being sick again (bug going around my house) but hopefully Ill make my friday workout n try it then.

@TomC Yes my intent is to get some decent shoes. Got 4 kids and Christmas is here so right after that Ima go get something. What are the downsides of squatting barefoot? Just curious.
    No downsides to barefoot, really, but no advantage either. Shoes provide an advantage.

I've read the squat chapter like 3-4 times. I always come across something that helps me in my next workout.

Also, based on personal experience, if you're sick, just rest. Exercise while sick curtails your body's efforts to recover from the workout AND fight the bug. Just let it do the latter.
    Last edited by RobCor; 12-24-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: grammarz

starting strength coach development program
    Yep, being sick fucks you up no matter what, even if you have decent nutrition your lifts will suffer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast