starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check Please

Default Deadlift Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Deadlift 205 x 5 is my form okay?

Hello,

Personally, I think there is no reason for you to use the mixed grip with that weight, which appears to be light for you. Of course is not the end of the world, but I would try and use the normal grip (even better, the hook grip) for as long as possible.

Another minor note: concentrate on what you are doing. Looking around between reps to check if you still look good on camera is unnecessary.

IPB

thanks! i'll try to use the normal grip for now to increase my grip strength, but yes just trying to get the form perfected before the weight gets really heavy and I was looking over because they have a mirror trying to see if my back was arched still trying to perfect my technique and setup
    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hello,

Personally, I think there is no reason for you to use the mixed grip with that weight, which appears to be light for you. Of course is not the end of the world, but I would try and use the normal grip (even better, the hook grip) for as long as possible.

Another minor note: concentrate on what you are doing. Looking around between reps to check if you still look good on camera is unnecessary.

IPB

The mixed grip is fine. You are going to be using a mixed grip in the future, so no problem starting with it now and developing a routine you can repeat over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    The mixed grip is fine. You are going to be using a mixed grip in the future, so no problem starting with it now and developing a routine you can repeat over and over.
    I don't agree with this. As a wuss-handed person I felt it was very important for me to get a strong grip so I drove my DOH up to 335x5 before I switched. I don't regret it for a second.

is the lowering part of where im dropping the weight down for the deadlift okay?

You have improved your starting position a lot - high hips, scapulas over the bar..
    However when you lower the weight you round your back on all reps. Bend at the hips when you lower the weight - you do it actually but you round your back too. I also think that you are opening the knee angle a little too early. The hips do not break the weight off the floor - the quads does. Then the hips take over. So the quads have small work but very important. I'm not an expert and certainly give a look at other people's opinion but I think that if you try to brush/keep the bar in contact with your shins and then thighs this problem will disappear.

In other words you have a decent form but try to keep your back straight when you lower the weight and keep the bar a little closer (if possible). Good luck with your training man. And face away from the mirror - its just a distraction and a little gay.
    Last edited by Rusi; 12-23-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Personal

starting strength coach development program
    Form looks pretty solid, but like Rusi said you tend to loosen up on the way down.

I'm another advocate for double overhand until you can't do it anymore. Still working for me at 285lbs and moving.