starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check

Default Squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi again,

I have adopted all the suggestions I received in my previous squat form check and am now handling quite a bit more weight without any more injuries. However, progress is starting to slow down as I approach 100kg, so I'd like a few independent eyes to verify that I'm more or less right.

Squat 94kg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry5gHI2MeUY

I'd also like some feedback on my deadlift. This is from later in the same workout: my back was tired from the squats and I failed to get 98kg off the ground even once. I had successfully done 95kg the previous week.

Deadlift 88kg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-p2Z9FUxho

Damn, these both look a hell of a lot easier than they felt.

More context in my log.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rgove View Post
    Hi again,

I have adopted all the suggestions I received in my previous squat form check and am now handling quite a bit more weight without any more injuries. However, progress is starting to slow down as I approach 100kg, so I'd like a few independent eyes to verify that I'm more or less right.

Squat 94kg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry5gHI2MeUY

I'd also like some feedback on my deadlift. This is from later in the same workout: my back was tired from the squats and I failed to get 98kg off the ground even once. I had successfully done 95kg the previous week.

Deadlift 88kg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-p2Z9FUxho

Damn, these both look a hell of a lot easier than they felt.

More context in my log.

Thanks.
    If you're going to go below parllel commit to the damn depth! The crease created by bending at the hip must be below the top of your knee. Yours is not below the knee...or even at the knee.
    Which is very odd, considering your last two videos had better depth. Remember to take people's advice on this board with a grain of salt.

The last form check suggested your widen your stance, and now it appears too wide (from my point of view). The wider it is, the less adductor use...ie it's bad. You seem to lack a bounce now =/
    Your last form check suggested that your look down not forward, I've found that this is preference. The general idea is to remember to DRIVE UP WITH YOUR HIPS. It now appears that you're afraid to commit to depth, and as a consequence, you're not dropping your hips far enough down.
    Shoes! They do indeed provide an advantage, but again, person preference will prevail.

Really, you should post this in Rip's Q&A section. He has the expert eye. And being completely honest, this technique forum has apparently brought about more harm than good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    If you're going to go below parllel commit to the damn depth! The crease created by bending at the hip must be below the top of your knee. Yours is not below the knee...or even at the knee.
    Which is very odd, considering your last two videos had better depth. Remember to take people's advice on this board with a grain of salt.

The last form check suggested your widen your stance, and now it appears too wide (from my point of view). The wider it is, the less adductor use...ie it's bad. You seem to lack a bounce now =/
    Your last form check suggested that your look down not forward, I've found that this is preference. The general idea is to remember to DRIVE UP WITH YOUR HIPS. It now appears that you're afraid to commit to depth, and as a consequence, you're not dropping your hips far enough down.
    Shoes! They do indeed provide an advantage, but again, person preference will prevail.

Really, you should post this in Rip's Q&A section. He has the expert eye. And being completely honest, this technique forum has apparently brought about more harm than good for you.
    Going by past experience, Rip's response to my older videos would be (a) "fucking eat more" and (b) "no need to go so deep".

However, I agree that I am now on the high side. This is actually a much more recent change that I made in search of that elusive bounce, which I wasn't feeling at all before. But I don't think I have an overly wide stance. Here is a view from the back:

Incidentally, that is bicycle handlebar tape on the bar. It's not for padding (it's only about 2mm thick), but for traction.

Going by past experience, Rip's response to my older videos would be (a) "fucking eat more" and (b) "no need to go so deep".

However, I agree that I am now on the high side. This is actually a much more recent change that I made in search of that elusive bounce, which I wasn't feeling at all before. But I don't think I have an overly wide stance. Here is a view from the back:

Incidentally, that is bicycle handlebar tape on the bar. It's not for padding (it's only about 2mm thick), but for traction.
    Rip makes those comments because they truly are important. Your recovery period is essential for growth. But, allow me to digress.

I again recommend that you post on his Q&A even at the risk of gaining no more important information. Worse case scenario you gain nothing; Best case scenario he tells you something we can't see.

In the absence of his presence allow me to coach you (as best as I can) from the beginning of your lift.

1) Slide your head and neck underneath the bar to set your elbows. SLIDE it. Note the huge amount of room you have between your head/neck and the bar as your get underneath it. Your shoulders aren't set because of it, and it appears you're trying to "crank" your shoulders into position.
    2) Your holding your breath before the lift. Check! Good job
    3) I can't tell from the video, but it appears your back angle is too vertical. For a high bar squat, that would be fine. For a low bar squat, you need to bend at your hips, which would create a more horizontal back angle. This would allow the bar to stay in proper position over your midfoot
    4) The "stretch reflex", which you're desperately searching for, is initiated when your muscles are at full extension. This requires proper depth. Again, because of the video, I can't tell if you're going low enough. But, when you do, you'll know it. For me, it's a lot simpler because when I go to squat 340 lbs I can't afford to not have a bounce. I have to drop at an adequate speed, which allows me to maintain tightness, but not too slow that I don't get that bounce at the bottom. Mind you, you don't stay in the bottom position for more than a millisecond. It's pretty much an instantaneous transition from lowering the bar to driving the bar back up.
    5) There seems to be a change in elbow position from your start position to your end position. This goes back to comment number 1. You need to lock in your elbows at the beginning and keep them locked!
    ***6*** This is optional, but consider a narrower stance. The narrower your stance is the more adductor (inner thigh muscle) you'll use in your squat. The first time I hit a stall, I noticed that my knees started caving in. So, I narrowed my stance a bit and I felt a lot more powerful because of it. It was also the first time I ever felt that "bounce". You don't have to, but I'd at least try a few with a narrower stance. No closer than shoulder width apart.

For future reference:

If you're only going to upload 1 video, the best angle to take it at is HIP LEVEL, at a 45 degree angle to the individual squatting, and far enough back so that I can see your head and feet at ALL times.

To reiterate and condense what I said before, as your squatting remember these cues.

1) Elbows set
    2) EVERYTHING TIGHT (before you drop, do a full body check. Forearms, abs, lowerback, upperback, quads, hamstrings, calves, ankle flexors, glutes - MAKE sure they're all tight and contracted)
    3) Chest up, not straight! (Don't be afraid to allow your chest angle to decrease. It's about maintaining the lumbar curve tight and straight even if you bend at the hip)
    4) DROP YOUR HIPS DAMMIT, NOT YOUR CHEST. COMMIT TO THE FUCKEN DEPTH.
    5) Drive your hips up

Best of luck, Rgove!

P.S.

This is me squatting 335. It by no means is a perfect example of a squat, but it might give you a better idea of what it "should" look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UfZko6lG0
    Last edited by Ello; 12-28-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks, that's a lot to think about. I tried a somewhat narrower stance today and I think it helped with the bounce. But what helped even more was continuous attention to the weight distribution over my feet. I think I previously allowed this to get too far out of balance in the hole, which was causing my ascent to look nothing like the reverse of my descent, as it does with you and other good examples.

Unfortunately I have a problem with one of my feet which is inhibiting me from spreading the load over it evenly. I delayed seeking treatment for this three months ago because it may require surgery and I didn't want to put off increasing my strength. That was the right decision, but I think now is the time to get it fixed.

Hi RGove,

re: deadlift

- first you set your back
    - then, you start your lift.

The first part might take a few seconds, and that is perfectly fine.
    Right now, you are doing something like this, in quick succession.

- grab bar
    - jerk upper torso upwards. Then push with legs.
    - lift
    - drop bar
    - jerk upper torso upwards...

Take your time to set your back properly. Feel the lower back creasing and bending. Feel your stomach pushing your thighs laterally. Prime your shoulder blades, tense your lats, take all the slack from your position.
    Hold that position, feel the strain in every fibre.
    Then, only then, start driving with your legs.

Take your time, think about each rep: it's not a sprint, it's a deadlift set.

Hope this helps.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, that's a lot to think about. I tried a somewhat narrower stance today and I think it helped with the bounce. But what helped even more was continuous attention to the weight distribution over my feet. I think I previously allowed this to get too far out of balance in the hole, which was causing my ascent to look nothing like the reverse of my descent, as it does with you and other good examples.

Unfortunately I have a problem with one of my feet which is inhibiting me from spreading the load over it evenly. I delayed seeking treatment for this three months ago because it may require surgery and I didn't want to put off increasing my strength. That was the right decision, but I think now is the time to get it fixed.
    Hmm, continuous weight distrubtion over your feet, eh? Haha, yeah that one's kind of important. Good to hear you figured it out.

Update us on how your feet turn out! Again, Good luck