starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: squats: butt wink on the way down, hyper extension on the way up

Default squats: butt wink on the way down, hyper extension on the way up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm having some trouble with my squat form, my low back position is worrying me. On the way down there is a bit of a butt wink, and on the way up the glutes raise faster then my lower back, causing a hyperextension. Any advice, cues, drill etc to help cure this would be greatly appreciated.

http://vimeo.com/18978456
    http://vimeo.com/18977791
    http://vimeo.com/18977284
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 01-19-2011 at 11:22 PM.

No expert but man you are exaggerating here. The butt wink you are talking about is so damn small most people won't even see it. And on some reps the is no butt wink at all. At the bottom your back is clearly in tight extension. Even your T-shirt is curled - a sign that your back is in extension. I think you are fine. Wait for other opinions and decide for yourself.

Im not a coach- but I see what you are saying, and sort of agree with rusi- your back is in extension, adductors are looking a little challenged- but youre hitting parallel and the butt wink seems to lessen by the last video. I bet that some of those form issues take care of themselves as you practice the movement and get stronger. Good effort.

Seriously. I will give you the exact same answer I gave you in the other thread. You may not LIKE the answer, but that doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    1. You don't have a butt wink.
    2. Just don't ever talk about butt wink here, period.
    3. Your glutes SHOULD raise first because you need to drive out of the hole with your ass, not your chest.
    4. You are driving out of the hole and raising your chest, which is why you are hyperextending.
    5. Buy some shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Seriously. I will give you the exact same answer I gave you in the other thread. You may not LIKE the answer, but that doesn't matter.
    I will voice Tbones sentiments fully, except for number 5. Shoes are preference in my opinion. But, seriously, STOP FUCKING TALKING ABOUT THE BUTT WINK. =D *hugs and kisses*

It's your chest. You're ACTIVELY trying to raise your chest as opposed to driving your hips. I can see it; Tbone can see it, and I'm pretty sure anyone with experience here can see it.

Default Look down !

Look down, not straight ahead - neck in neutral position - this will reduce the hyperextention. But believe me, when the weights get bigger you will love a strong h-e

ello- I defer to your judgement- but Im not getting that from vid one at least- looks like if he did look down he would get more hip drive- but also looks like his thoracic arent extending-at all. looks like he just has weak abdominals muscles- thats not really the same thing as actively raising your chest is it? Not trying to argue- just understand what Im looking at- and I dont see hyperextension so curious.

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    ello- I defer to your judgement- but Im not getting that from vid one at least- looks like if he did look down he would get more hip drive- but also looks like his thoracic arent extending-at all. looks like he just has weak abdominals muscles- thats not really the same thing as actively raising your chest is it? Not trying to argue- just understand what Im looking at- and I dont see hyperextension so curious.
    He may have weak abdominal muscles. But, what cued me to him ACTIVELY raising his chest was his neck. Look at the way he bows it...the moment he hits the hole, he's raising his chest.

Now, the reason WHY he's doing it could vary.

1) The weight is heavy and he's trying to compensate for lack of leg strength
    2) He's always done it that way - never tried to correct it!
    3) Weak adductors - notice his knees cave in on one of the reps.
    4) ?

I'm guessing that he's weak and he's trying to compensate for it with bad form (ie rising of the chest). How do we fix this? We lower the weight until we can do the form properly for most reps.

Edit: I just took another look - I didn't give it much time the first viewing - it appears that he's not trying to set his body for the descent. (Note: I maybe wrong on this one) Before I go down on the descent, my entire body is in contraction. You could take a 2x4 to my back/abs/legs/chest and it would bounce off. Make sure you're doing that OP. Make sure you're entire body is ready for the descent.
    Last edited by Ello; 01-20-2011 at 10:35 PM.

One day you are going to have to dump the bar on that ceramic floor. I saw your deadlift video too. I don't think the little cushions will save the ceramic floor when you start dropping the weights at 250 lbs or higher.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    One day you are going to have to dump the bar on that ceramic floor. I saw your deadlift video too. I don't think the little cushions will save the ceramic floor when you start dropping the weights at 250 lbs or higher.
    I can't even begin to imagine the kind of disaster that will happen when he gets stuck on the bottom of a squat and tries not to dump the bar for fear breaking the floor.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast