starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Novice Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks, that likely explains why my right elbow hurts a bit after squats.

I have changed my grip so my wrists are resting more atop of the barbell with a light grip & am trying to maintain neutral wrist position. I hope this is better.

I feel more stable wearing Rip's shoes. Any comments on form/technique?

Thanks

No comment other than I found it funny hearing you count and exhale. "HOOOO", "HREEEE!", "HORRRRR!"

I'm a goofball, I squat in front of a bunch of toys and disney posters

Your counting actually makes me think of this old commercial..

Brings back good memories.

...Some of the Senior members or Rip correct me if i'm wrong, but his head does seem to point/looking a tad high, causing loss of hip drive. and he is quite bent over alot. the last set seemed almost like good mornings. Surely his chest should be higher. I do remember Rip saying something along drive with the hips but not at the expense of keeping your chest up???

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    ...Some of the Senior members or Rip correct me if i'm wrong, but his head does seem to point/looking a tad high, causing loss of hip drive. and he is quite bent over alot. the last set seemed almost like good mornings. Surely his chest should be higher. I do remember Rip saying something along drive with the hips but not at the expense of keeping your chest up???
    From the side view, it did look like he was too bent over, but it looks much better from the back quarter view. I wouldn't call the last set good mornings at all, and he does keep his chest up. Watch it again and you'll see that his hips do in fact rise just as fast as the bar & chest. The hip drive is very evident.

With that said though, Xray, you could stand to be a little more upright during your squat. Unless you can tell us for sure that the bar is balanced exactly over your midfoot and isn't drifting forward, it's hard to decide from the video.

Also, your wrists look better, but your elbows don't need to be held up so high, see if you keep the bar in place with your elbows a little lower. I know you're a skinny guy, but you do have shoulder muscles to hold the bar. The bar should wedge down a little bit into the muscle. Also, try experimenting with a slightly narrower stance, I would say heels at armpit width, and see if it feels better.

Drive your knees out more and stop over extending your spine on your ascent. Watch your thoracic/lumbar spine extend more as you drive up from the bottom. That is going to hurt you one day. Most back problems come from flexing the spine. You are extending it under a load. Keep the spine in normal extension and don't let it move while you are squatting. Driving the knees out will help with depth and in general make everything better.

Also, and most importantly, put on about 60 pounds.

starting strength coach development program
    Looks like I got a lot of work to do.

Thanks again for the advice. I will post another video later this week, hopefully with improved form.
    Last edited by Xray; 05-30-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast