starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novice Squat Check

Default Novice Squat Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Is my form/depth ok enough to warrant adding 5lbs next session? I had deloaded to 165lb last friday as I struggled with proper depth at 180lbs last week. I felt like I was squatting in mud today.

My order for Rip's weightlifting shoes will hopefully arrive this week so I can retire my chucks.

Since I started this program early last month, I gained 11lbs and increased my squat by 40lbs.

Thanks for the guidance & support.

Tushar

Are you trying to do high or low bar squats?

Your depth is fine, but there are other problems with your form. If I were you, I'd keep the weight the same for a couple more weeks. Good job to gain 11 lbs, but you know you're still painfully rail thin, right?

Don't get so bent over when you reach the bottom of the squat. Try to stay a little more upright, and that will make it easier to stay upright as you squat back up.

Mike, thanks again for the advice. I will keep the weight at 175lb for the next few weeks. Hopefully I can stay more upright at the bottom of the squat.

I still need to gain another 10lbs to reach 160lbs.

I am trying low bar squats. Is the bar position incorrect on my back?

The bar position looks okay, though it could be maybe a centimeter lower. You don't look very comfortable though, with your wrists bent like that. Have you ever watched video of Rip squatting? It will give you some idea of how to hold the bar correctly:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKEl4Wxoqc

Your squat is pretty good and I recommend against staying at the same weight for weeks. Your bar is also in the low bar position. What you need to do is gain some weight. That is going to make everything stronger. Yes, your wrists are bent. Yes, you should work on it. No, it's not a terrible problem and with some work you will get it solved.

You miss depth on a few of your squats. Drive your knees out a good deal more and this will not be a problem. Lifting shoes will help a bit, too. Eats lots of good food with plenty of protein, drink your milk, and add weight to the bar. Squatting 3 plates a side should be your mission. You will get there.

Dang, I really thought that bar looked like it was sitting at the back of his shirt collar. :-( Haha..

Quote Originally Posted by the dio View Post
    Dang, I really thought that bar looked like it was sitting at the back of his shirt collar. :-( Haha..
    It's tough to tell for sure from the video. I think it's about in the right place.

I have been trying to straighten my wrists, but I have a hard time getting a good "shelf" on my thin back for the bar to rest upon. Since I have flexibility, my instincts is to drive my elbows upwards which flexes my wrists. I will work on straightening my wrists.

I have been squeezing the bar hard during my squat. Is that proper technique or do you just rest your hands on the bar with a light grip?

starting strength coach development program
    Try to get your hands past the bar, angled out so they kinda just flop over it. So your pinky and ring fingers wrap around but that's kinda it. Thumbs on top, and a lot of the bar surface area will come into contact with a small bit of the heel of your hand under your outer fingers, and some of the wrist itself as it gets closer to the thumb side. Not much finger pressure if any at all. The wider your grip, the less parallel the bar is with your wrist.

You may already know this but the reason you don't want to grip and squeeze is because all of that weight will be supported by your arms. Gravity pulls the bar down against your wrist, which is transferred to your elbow. After that, nowhere else for it to go.
    Last edited by the dio; 05-26-2011 at 12:40 AM. Reason: grammar and typo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast