starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Form Check

Default Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

I just got my Badass Wei-Rui shoes and I'm really enjoying them... this is the first time I've done power clean with them and I notice a big difference compared to the running shoes I was wearing before. But I know my form really sucks for power clean... can anybody help me fix it? Am I hitting it too low on my thigh?

This is with 88 lbs... the working weight was 110 lbs today which I failed but last time I got 105 lb ok... I think the technique will really help me.

I forgot to record the 190 lb squats today... I'll do that on Wednesday I guess

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it

88 lbs is a little too light, let's see the 105 lb video. Take it from an oblique angle instead of or in addition to the side view. Also a heavy deadlift video if you can.

You'll need to set your back better.

Hmmm.... ( note: PC is not my forte)

Can't tell for sure but it looks like you lift the weight to your knees and then go straight up from there. Make contact w/ your thigh before you do the explosive triple extension. Have you read the progression in SS ? this is a short excerpt from the SS DVD that talks about this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF_15...eature=related

Maybe try doing some hang cleans to work on that.

Overall motion looks reasonable enough though and 105 isn't a bad place to be. How much do you weigh ? how long have you been at this ? How much do you DL ?

If you could have your camera holder stabilize the camera against something it would help a lot.

Back extension needs improvement. Bar should just touch your thigh before you jump - looks like it may not do this, but can't tell. You might be pulling with your arms a little. You are donkey kicking a little bit (feet kick back), but Rip said that I may be shitty at judging this, so take it with a grain of salt.

As a first form check, it's pretty decent. You understand the movement. The details need work, though.

Yeah, I'll make sure to film this better next time, sorry. I'll put a new one up on Friday with the max weight I can do. For DL right now I'm at about 200 3x5, haven't done a max but probably mid-200's. I'm 15 yr old 141 lb 5'8". I was doing StrongLifts for a while but I got the SS book so I started that, it's been like a week and a half (although I'd been doing SL for a couple weeks... which don't incorporate PC into the program, so that's my weak spot). I've read SS and seen the DVDs but I'll read over it again to make sure I get the points down.

I try to touch my thigh before the pull but I admit sometimes I don't always feel that happen. In the video does it look too low where I start the pull? I know I donkey kick a little bit, how should I fix that?

Before power clean like this should I just work on hang cleans? Is the weight about the same for each?

Is it bad that my knees are bent while I am jumping? How to really get that full triple extension?

Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by m1nt View Post
    Yeah, I'll make sure to film this better next time, sorry. I'll put a new one up on Friday with the max weight I can do. For DL right now I'm at about 200 3x5, haven't done a max but probably mid-200's. I'm 15 yr old 141 lb 5'8". I was doing StrongLifts for a while but I got the SS book so I started that, it's been like a week and a half (although I'd been doing SL for a couple weeks... which don't incorporate PC into the program, so that's my weak spot). I've read SS and seen the DVDs but I'll read over it again to make sure I get the points down.

I try to touch my thigh before the pull but I admit sometimes I don't always feel that happen. In the video does it look too low where I start the pull? I know I donkey kick a little bit, how should I fix that?

Before power clean like this should I just work on hang cleans? Is the weight about the same for each?

Is it bad that my knees are bent while I am jumping? How to really get that full triple extension?

Thank you so much

Alright for that level of experience you're doing just fine. Keep up w/ the workouts, drink your milk... and keep growing / getting stronger.

Review the part about hang cleans in the book or the DVD or heck just that YT clip above. I just practice w/ the bar to get that dialed in when i warm up.

My hand is sore from double-clicking on the YT play/pause button to simulate frame by frame... but you're actually in full extension when you leave the floor. Those bent knees afterwards are the donkey kick. I don't remember what Coach Rip says about that and i don't have any exp. can't help you there.

The other thing that my ghetto slo-mo showed is that you are indeed pulling w/ your arms a bit as RobCor said: That means your arms are bending before the end of the extension. The order should be extension, then shrug, then rack. Not supposed to have any vertical row thing going on.

Of these 3 issues. the thigh thing is the one you want to nail first.

Thank you for all the feedback

How should I eliminate the donkey kick? Just extend on my toes? Then how should my legs be when I land? like a wider stance?

I'll try to work on exploding when it reaches higher + touches on my thigh + to eliminate the arm stuff

Quote Originally Posted by m1nt View Post
    How should I eliminate the donkey kick? Just extend on my toes? Then how should my legs be when I land? like a wider stance?
    Your 'donkey kick' is barely noticeable, and again, is one of the things that goes away when you lift heavier weights. Your legs should not be in a wider stance when you land, you start in your pulling stance, leave the ground just long enough to readjust into your front squat stance, and the two should be almost the same, both are relatively narrow. Don't extend onto your toes. Think about applying pressure against the ground for as long as possible until the 'readjustment' point. In fact, I would say that instead of thinking 'up', start thinking 'down' to get under the bar after you finish pulling.

starting strength coach development program
    sweet! i got the 110! thanks

do you think i should start with hang power cleans first and progress to regular power cleans as i get better?