starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: squat check part 2. moving on from high bar squats.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You need hip drive

Quote Originally Posted by the dio View Post
    You need hip drive
    What exactly do you think hip drive is? Doing a good morning?

Honestly, this guy's squats look quite good, and he's doing something a lot of people around here fail to do - actually maintaining his back angle on the way up.

Hip drive looks fine to me, amac38. That second video shows some good-looking squats.

The only comment I have is that it looks like your right wrist might be bent more than your left, although it’s hard to see from the video. Not the hugest deal in the world, but the wrists become more important as the squats get heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    What exactly do you think hip drive is? Doing a good morning?

Honestly, this guy's squats look quite good, and he's doing something a lot of people around here fail to do - actually maintaining his back angle on the way up.
    Totes.

No, maybe it's just because he is moving so quickly, but I see knee and hip angle changing simultaneously.

On the hip drive discussion. Let's say the first 10" of bar movement on the way up:

My understanding is that the ideal, and what i aim for in my squats, is to keep the back at a constant angle to the floor coming out of the hole. Fault 1 (my numbering) is to raise the shoulders first or faster than the hips. Fault 2 is to raise the hips first or faster than the shoulders or what's often called around here "the good morning" style.

In the SS LB squat world Fault 1 is considered to be really bad because it kills hamstring and adductor involvement. It is also considered to be a natural tendency in untrained people and even in people trained in "olympic" squats. As such the "drive the hips" cue is central to the SS LB squat. A small amount of good morning style is accepted as a a bulwark against falling into fault 1.

However, that doesn't make moving the butt first a desirable thing, just a less bad thing than moving the shoulders first. The aim is still for the back to keep its angle out of the hole. On the SS DVD, for example, Rip actually tells one of the guys to "think of bringing the chest up first" or something along those lines as a cue to fix his butt raising problems.
    Last edited by veryhrm; 06-05-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: minor rewording

I believe "chest up first" is a cue seldomly used, for only the most heinous of good morning-ers.

starting strength coach development program
    It's very stupid of me to show you guys my squat form with 60kg, as we all know our technique changes when the weights get heavier.

I'll upload another video when I'm close to 3 plates, thank you so much for all your comments and feedback! Thanks from Australia!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12