starting strength gym

Thread: Hyper extending back while squating

Default Hyper extending back while squating

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Im wondering if I've been hyper extending the back too much when squatting.

I usually try to tighten the lumbar and then sit back in the squat. But imo this tightening of the lumbar or lower back can tend to hurt a bit. So today I tried squats where I didnt tighten it as much sitting back, while I still took the breath and tightened the abs. It actually felt better. It was a bit of an experiment but I fear I probably have to go back to tightening the lumbar/lower back for safety.

What are your thoughts about this?

Well, based on the video i'd say that.... awww...

But seriously, i also am curious what people say on this topic. The last 2 workouts (about 2 months into SS and only about 3 or 4 mo since i've learned low bar squatting) i too have loosened my back a bit, not so much that it moves at all (though i haven't taken video yet so maybe i'm wrong), but my lower back these two times wasn't in a near cramped extension and my abdomen wasn't so tight that i couldn't breathe. Don't know yet if i've found a more reasonable level of tightness or if i'm setting myself up for serious unpleasantness down the road.

Are you guys sure the extension is happening in the right place? Unless one is hypermobile, it's unlikely you can extend the lumbar too much. It may be that you're extending the spine above the lumbar, which is a common mistake that males make. And yeah, video would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    Are you guys sure the extension is happening in the right place? Unless one is hypermobile, it's unlikely you can extend the lumbar too much. It may be that you're extending the spine above the lumbar, which is a common mistake that males make. And yeah, video would be helpful.
    Speaking for myself i'm definitely not hyperextending as i just can't. Don't know what soft or hard structures are responsible but i can only get a little bit concave no matter how hard i contract. I'm just saying that my spinal erectors in the lumbar region are feeling a less intense contraction than i was feeling previously.
    It's possible that my spinal erectors and my abs have gotten better at working "together" rather than against each other
    - or maybe they've gotten stronger and i don't need to contract them as hard...
    - or i've gotten lazy and i'm not contracting them as hard as i used to...
    - or i've gotten more used to the forces involved and i'm thus not contracting as hand as i used to
    ... don't know.
    AFAICT it hasn't affected my back position during the squat but i haven't seen video yet other.

veryhrm, it's entirely possible that you're more flexible now and more familiar with the movement, so you don't have to fight for proper lumbar position as much. But the abs less contracted thing sounds bad to me--you should control that consciously with the help of Valsalva. If I were you, I would take a video so that I could review my form to make sure I wasn't slacking on form. But aside from the abs thing, it could just be that, as promised, the squat is increasing your flexibility and mobility.