starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check..

Default Deadlift form check..

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

hi guys this is my deadlift video from my recent session.. please check it out

i noticed that my starting position for rep 1 is different from reps 2-4.
    For the 1st rep i concentrated on getting the chest up while restricting the hips from dropping so my shoulders are much more forward from the bar. For reps 2-4 i tried to get my chest as high as possible while letting the hips drop naturally..

so which is the better form? and is my overall form ok?

In my humble opinion, you set up on the first rep as if you are about to perform a Stiff-Leg Deadlift. Your shoulders are in front of the bar and your hips are high.

Your subsequent reps are closer to what I would consider decent deadlift form. Some things I would change:

1. Start with your feet slightly further away from the bar. This will help get your shoulders behind the bar and get your hips lower when you begin the pull.

2. On the descent, bend over slightly more at the waist before bending the knees. This will keep you from hitting your knees with the bar on the way down. I'm not certain this is happening since the plates block the view, but it looks like it is occurring. Setting up with your feet/shins a bit further back might also cure this.

3. The lockout position at the top is the subject of some debate, but if it were me, I'd lean back just a little more. Don't bend backwards, but make sure your shoulders aren't rolled forward at lockout. Again, opinions will vary on this.

sometimes when i overdo the chest up cue i feel some spine pain.. do i look like i'm overextending my back in the videos?

also the position im standing now ensures that the bar is on the midfoot position (looking from the side).. is about an inch away from the bar..? is this still wrong?

when i stand straight up, my back is in extension right.. so i have to maintain this feeling throughout all exercises is that correct?
    Last edited by seth69; 06-21-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Your form is not bad, so don't think you are doing deadlifts horribly wrong. You are very close to good form and only a few tweaks need to be made.

Try this:

The next time you do deadlifts, set up in exactly the same manner you use now. Just before you bend at the waist to grab the bar for your first rep, shuffle your feet back one inch. Do everything else exactly the same as you are doing now. That inch might fix the other minor issues. Record a video of that and we'll see.

One other thing to try, just for grins:

At the lockout position, hold it for 10 seconds. Do not do this for every rep, that is a waste of energy. Just try this one or two times and feel the position your body gets into. I would guess that when you do an extended lockout, your hips will creep forward ever so slightly and your shoulders will roll back just a little bit. I believe that would be a better lockout position for you to aim for in every rep.

thanks for the advice vic.. if you don't mind please check my squat form as well as this thread (lastpost) thx http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=24589&page=2

hi i have followed your advice and fixed my technique here it is:

skip to 0:29s

also i got a question.. do your arms try to pull the bar up or your arms just grip the bar tight and hold it there? what i do now is i try to stand up also at the same time pull the bar up with my arms.. is this wrong?

Don't pull with your arms.

Lower your ass and pull the weight into your shins on the way up.

I think your lower back is a little round.
    and why do you shave your legs?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PressesPeople View Post
    Lower your ass and pull the weight into your shins on the way up.
    FYI, this is not the way Rip teaches the pull.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...468#post182468

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast