starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check (1st workout)

Default Squat Form Check (1st workout)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey!

This is my first squat workout (only with empty bar).
    I've made ​​in every angle (side, 45-degree, back) several sets and have taken the best forms in the video.

Is the butt-wink ok to increase the weight or should I increase my flexibility at first?
    After the first few reps (>5) my left hip flexor is hurting, when i'm pushing out my knees hard in the bottom.

I'm sorry that I did more than 5 reps per set. Will not happen again next time.

Thanks, Chris.

It's somewhat hard to judge since you're only squatting the bar.

Depth, stance and bar position seem alright (though I'm not sure if the bar is really on your rear delts -- hard to tell), but I don't see any hip drive. Why don't you put some weight on that bar and show us your technique?

Oh and please eat.

What is your reason for only using the bar?

Why are you even thinking about flexibility? That's usually a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirichlet View Post
    It's somewhat hard to judge since you're only squatting the bar.

Depth, stance and bar position seem alright (though I'm not sure if the bar is really on your rear delts -- hard to tell), but I don't see any hip drive. Why don't you put some weight on that bar and show us your technique?.
    The barbell is directly placed under the bone that you can feel on the outside of the back shoulder.
    I watched the videos about hip drive. I hope it has improved. (The pain in the hip flexor is gone.)

3 x 5 x 36kg / 80lbs

1 x 5 x 26kg / 57 lbs
    1 x 5 x 31kg / 68 lbs
    1 x 5 x 36kg / 79 lbs
    1 x 5 x 41kg / 90 lbs
    3 x 5 x 46kg / 101 lbs

your butt is going up before the bar rather than at the same time which is what you want to happen. It may help to think chest up as your pushing with your hips out of the bottom. Your depth looks alright for the most part but some of the reps are definatley not low enough. go a little lower not a whole lot but a little.

starting strength coach development program
    Actually, you are driving your butt back and up, instead of just up. Watch your knees, they give this away (compare against your first video, in which your hip drive is pretty decent, even with no load). So work on driving your butt straight up. And add an inch of depth - drive your knees out harder. Finally, keep your weight off your toes at the bottom. Get all the weight over the middle of your foot. Think "drive middle of foot into floor" when coming up.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 09-06-2011 at 10:42 PM.