starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kelly Starrett DL setup

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I can bend over about half as far as he can with my back locked lol. I believe I require the weight to pull against to squeeze myself into position. Fuck overpressure

Oops that was supposed to be an edit. Anyway here's a question. Can you giys who life with locked backs touch your toes? I can't wven get my ankles

Default Starrett is the man!

I took Rip's cert first and thought I understood what to do although I did it (every lift except maybe the bench) pretty poorly. The worst attendee ever I think... I still cannot squat. I learned a ton though. And I was coached and encouraged for the second time in my entire life, first was Burgener's. I obviously am not an athlete.
    Regarding the last post somewhere in Starrett's arsenal of videos is how to get you you touch your toes in about four tries. Find it. Also look at the trigger point video, that is awesome but for range of motion in your shoulders which will help for cleans and snatches. I tried it and it helped.
    Then a couple years later (also post Burgener cert, where I was also not tightening up right) I went to Starrett's cert. Now I get it. Why I did not get it from Burg and Rip I do not know. I get what to tighten and how to tighten it, it has made my bike riding better and day to day sitting standing walking better. Lifting of manhole lids - way better, they even come off easier.
    I have hamstring problems from bike riding currently can't squat at all and am too lazy to rifle through his mobilityWOD stuff to figure it out. I found this video very interesting because both my sister and daughter have hyper mobility issues that they think they can do nothing about, all their shit just bends crazily backwards. But, maybe they can after seeing this.
    So what you find a problem to listen to I find helpful but then I am learning disabled as well and you probably find my writing a pain in the ass to read. I have organizational issues and he might too.
    Regarding his jargon, he has a PhD and if you have worked on one and gotten totally immersed in your studies for years... and wrapped up in the technical language I think you might use the lingo. Any regular pts on here never head of this stuff? Is it really only Starrett-speak? Dr. Sullivan, any technical mumbo jumbo ingrained from your doctoral work you let slip if you are enthusiastically talking about it? If I had to guess he did not make this stuff up it is the lingo of his craft/discipline. For him it is a craft, it is amazing what he can do. Would that he was on the east coast.
    Do any of you know what mass transfer of VOCs in differing humidities of vadose zone soil to air means? Couple of environmental types on here. Well that was my first doctoral topic, most of the stuff I would talk about would sound like pure rubbish as well - why not kss just say"dirt". Lest you call me some over educated boob, no I am not a Dr., worked 8 years on that research and 2 more on a different proposed and accepted topic and got cut off by the school so did not finish - kids, desertion of husband, brand new 15 year mortgage to pick up and pay all contributed.
    Starrett's a DPT is it called? So you might assumed 5 years post graduate work or possibly 7 if it is on top of a masters not sure if they have to do research or not and I know nothing about that kind of degree progression just guessing. But what is evident when you see him in person is that he loves to help people lift and do whatever physical exercise they do better and he is like a gushing well of bottomless information. You might find it overdone, but I find fascinating. Did you guys listen to that iron cross comment? He can make the body work and work right, even a big guy doing what is normally done by a teeny gymnast. He is also really funny and his cert is well worth the money. Free videos are a treat and helpful. Over look the offending gibberish (or appreciate it) and fish out the good. It is well worth it. Combining what Rip teaches and what Starrett teaches could bring a lifetime of strength, health and being able to get around pain free which is definitely a goal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Wow, I very strongly disagree. The elbow isn't "the" example in the video. He offers an example, generalizes, and then explain how the same lesson applies to deadlift mechanics. I don't think you're misrepresenting the video, I think we just took vastly different things away from it.
    Wow. Polite disagreement. I didn't think that was allowed on internet message boards!

Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    I can't get my back into extension using Rip's method so I will give this a try today.
    You realize that KStar's advice here is for people who have issues with hyperextending, right? It's not for people who have problems achieving extension.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234