starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twisting pressure when knees out

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by squat_gnome View Post
    I will post new form checks soon.
    And I really don't have any problem with depth, I can go all the way down ass to grass even with my stance closed completely.
    So nothing wrong at all with a narrower stance and knees not pushed out wildly if I can hit the depth with no problem?
    Knees only have to be pushed out "wildly" if you have trouble keeping them out, which is the case for the vast majority of people. If you don't have an issue with this, then you just need to make sure you stay tight once you get the knees out where they need to be (tracking in line with the feet) to keep them from being pulled in as your adductors contribute to hip extension. You understand the difference between "pushing the knees out wildly" and "keeping everything really tight"?

And don't squat "ass to grass". Just go slightly below parallel. If you have problems cutting off the squat at this depth, you need to stay tight. Some very mobile people take their stance a bit wider to try to keep their depth at the right place, but when you do that, you generally decrease the turnout of your toes, NOT increase. Although, barring unusual proportions, most people can manage correct depth by concentrating on staying tight.

I don't think its actually possible to push your knees out too far. Your toes are probably at too much of an angle for your knees to track with them, and when you try to push them out, your knees tell you to stop doing that.

Y'know I always pictured a squat gnome to be like the most perfect squatter, with like a 600lb squat and the rest of the lifts < 400. And the gnome doesn't walk around, he squats around.

Ah good point!! when i squat down with no weight and put my elbows on my knees while palms facing each other, I have to FORCE my knees out by my elbows, and that causes a twisting force on my knees. do any of you experience the same?

Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    I don't think its actually possible to push your knees out too far.
    You can push your knees out past the line your foot makes to the hip socket if your toes point more forward. There are plenty of people who recommend squatting this way, actually, but Rip does not, and I agree with him. Except maybe for geared powerlifters, but geared powerlifting is not my area of expertise.

You're right, though, that the issue is most likely that Gnome's feet are turned out too far. But we'll need video to verify that.

Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    I don't think its actually possible to push your knees out too far. Your toes are probably at too much of an angle for your knees to track with them, and when you try to push them out, your knees tell you to stop doing that.

Y'know I always pictured a squat gnome to be like the most perfect squatter, with like a 600lb squat and the rest of the lifts < 400. And the gnome doesn't walk around, he squats around.
    and does him have the habit of shitting in people's gardens when doing his squats?
    I am referring to this guy:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

I took this name for myself because I squat a lot during the day. not referring to barbell squats. I squat when I want to sit, when I want to shit, and when I want to eat, when having no seat.

I shall record more videos. of all my lifts, my bench also sucks badly.

oh and found this just now, very funny:
    injuries_GoodBadSquats.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by squat_gnome View Post
    Ah good point!! when i squat down with no weight and put my elbows on my knees while palms facing each other, I have to FORCE my knees out by my elbows, and that causes a twisting force on my knees. do any of you experience the same?
    Adjust the width of your feet and the angle of your feet so the twisting force goes away when you do this and voila. This should get you extremely close to the proper alignment. Try this foot position when you squat.
    Last edited by slipshod77; 09-23-2011 at 09:02 AM.

okay problem solved. no more twisting force on the knee to the outward direction while squatting anymore.

new problem: the place where my inner quads get connected to the knee feels very painful. i can barely walk to home after the workout from gym, and it feels painful overall. i am massaging it with some foam roller. what the hell is this pain called? quad tendinitis? and what is the cure?
    someone please advise a cure, i do not like to skip the tomorrow squats due to some pain.

lmao. for a squat gnome...

you're most likely letting your knees slide forward at the bottom and turning it into a leg press.

starting strength coach development program
    i foam rolled the area and it feels good now. i will carry the foal roller in my gym bag in future to roll the painful/tired areas instantly after workout.
    i want to also post new form checks. my camera phone dropped in water, got to repair it to record some vids.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12