starting strength gym

Thread: stall 255

Default stall 255

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    SO I stalled at 255. The first time I accidentally put on 250 for the first two sets, and then I put on 255 for the last set when I realized it, and failed on the fourth rep. Then I tried again and got 5/5/4 and today I tried again and got 5/4/4. I have been getting at least 8 to 9 hours of sleep, sometimes 10, and I have been eating right. Here is the clip below... in need of deload??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE_Uj3NOt8g

You are able to overextend your spine in the squat. This will potentially prove injurious in the future. You should maintain normal spinal extension during the squat and focus on keeping the torso immobile. Getting your back in a more normal position should help with hip drive. You are keeping your shins almost perpendicular to the floor. Let your knees come forward more early in the squat. This will allow the quads to work harder. You get plenty deep and your knees aren't wandering around, so things are pretty solid. Stop arching your back so hard and let your knees farther forward. See if that helps.

How tall are you, what do you weigh, and how much weight have you put on since starting the program? You don't appear chronically underfed, but putting on some muscular more bodyweight may be what is needed.

You missed that last rep for psychological reasons. Relaxed too much after the 4th rep and went down a little tentatively, and hit the bottom just the tiniest bit loose. Yes, lack of oxygen sucks but you'll have to maintain 100% focus through the set. Besides that, it doesn't look like you'll make the reps if you stay at 255 based on your last two workouts. If your recovery/fatigue situation seems good, then maybe you should just bump down to 245 or so and work back from there.

Yeah, my lower back has been aching a lot lately... I am 6 foot 1 and a half, 205 lbs and I used to be 167, I did SS in january, got hurt in march and weighed 187, and then I restarted ten weeks ago, went from 180-185 to 205.
    Squat- could squat 165 for ten but high bar crappy form before SS, started SS with 115and got to 210 before i injured myself, restarted ten weeks ago with 135 and stall at 255
    Bench-115-175 not stalled yet (although I could do 145 for 3x5 at the time, I was iffy about my arm so I started with 115
    Dead- march it was 240, I restarted 10 weeks ago with 115 and now it is at 295. I have not stalled yet but coming soon I feel.
    OH press- got to 95 1st SS try, do 105 now, but I havebt stalled yet
    Row- Used to do 95 1st SS, Do 110 now, not stalled yet.

I can feel a stall coming on each of my lifts pretty soon. My deadlift grip is getting weak and killing myhands even though I grip the bar like rip. I have no access to chalk to use in my gym they dont allow it. No gym around my area does. The OH presses are getting reeeally tough, the rows are getting slow, and the bench I feel I may be able to make it to 180 185. I wait about 6 to 7 minutes between sets for all the lifts now.

@pumped2112 - Re: No chalk - I've used a swimming hat cut in half, which is fine for grip (unless your hands are really sweaty), or thin sponges (like a bath sponge)

GoT

Quote Originally Posted by pumped2112 View Post
    Yeah, my lower back has been aching a lot lately...
    We have a likely explanation for why your back hurts now. Don't keep your chest vertical in the squat. Lean over more.

I can feel a stall coming on each of my lifts pretty soon. My deadlift grip is getting weak and killing myhands even though I grip the bar like rip. I have no access to chalk to use in my gym they dont allow it. No gym around my area does. The OH presses are getting reeeally tough, the rows are getting slow, and the bench I feel I may be able to make it to 180 185. I wait about 6 to 7 minutes between sets for all the lifts now.
    Microload your presses. This will preserve progress. You also have more in you on the squats and deads. It may require a reset, or two, but you can almost certainly keep pushing progress forward. As for chalk, buy some, put it in a ziploc container and bring it to the gym. Don't make a mess and keep it in a bag so that people cannot see it. Deads without chalk are pretty damn hard.

Yeah i live at the jersey shore... if anyone knows of a gym that is more geared towards strength trainging please let me know. I am bigger than I look in the film because it was shot with an iphone and it has that skinny condensed view which makes me look skinnier. I will try not arch my back as much, but can you guys tell me if my hip drive is ok at least? Also what weight should i deload to? I need to know for tomorrow...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pumped2112 View Post
    Yeah i live at the jersey shore... if anyone knows of a gym that is more geared towards strength trainging please let me know. I am bigger than I look in the film because it was shot with an iphone and it has that skinny condensed view which makes me look skinnier. I will try not arch my back as much, but can you guys tell me if my hip drive is ok at least? Also what weight should i deload to? I need to know for tomorrow...
    Try taking between 10 and 15% off the bar and go after it again. Your hip drive will be improved by ceasing to overextend, but it may take some getting used to, so 15%, or even a touch more might be advised while you sort it out.