starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: squat/deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    I actually thought your deadlifts looked good on the whole. You hitched the last two reps, so you'll have to do a better job coordinating the top of the pull.

Yes, start with your butt just a little bit lower, maybe not 4-6" lower though. Your back isn't really rounding though, so don't worry too much about it. Well except for the last rep which it looks like you rushed. On every rep, tell yourself to set your back, lock it in place, pull out all the slack in your arms and body, get your breath, then ease the bar off the ground.

I'd also recommend not changing your grip during the set, and not standing up between reps. That really hurts your chances of completing the set, especially the standing up. You can still alternate your mixed grip between workouts.

Your squats are textbook SS squats. They look below parallel to me. They'll feel better when you start using your shoes.
    I have a tendency to not set my back towards the end of a set. it was a lot worse before, where i'd completely forget about setting my back after completing the first rep. i'll keep working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    FYI:

That back angle is just what happens sometimes with people who have Matt's anthropometry.

+1.

And my opinion is that your butt doesn't need to be lower. The bar is going up in a nice straight line, your weight stays over midfoot, and the bar stays in close and skims your legs all the way up. It looks to me like these are the angles that work for your proportions. How does the pull feel to you?

You start off with your back set nicely for each rep (except for that last rushed rep, as Mike points out), but I think you need to work a little more on keeping your back locked tight throughout. Try looking ahead more instead of down. This usually helps people keep their chest "squeezed up" better, and this may help fix the minor issue you have with your hips shooting up a little first.
    the pull feels OK to me. definitely a lot better than it did before.

as far as looking ahead goes, i'll try to look ahead more as I was looking at the ground 2 feet in front of me, but not having my neck in neutral while deadlifting feels awful to me.

Actually, it's not the same outcome. Squeezing the chest up doesn't actually move the chest all that much; it helps maintain spinal extension.

We actually do legitimately disagree here. Matt will have to figure out which advice works for him.

I'm basing my assessment on seeing how leggy guys were DLing at the seminar I attended. I think the fact that Matt is not one of these stick thin teenagers (good job on that, Matt) makes it harder to notice, but if you take screen shots of him and diagram out his proportions and look at where his limbs are at the bottom of the squat, he clearly looks long-legged. At least to me.
    I always thought I was long-legged. it's a lot more visible when i'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
    Last edited by mattciupak; 09-29-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattciupak View Post
    as far as looking ahead goes, i'll try to look ahead more as I was looking at the ground 2 feet in front of me, but not having my neck in neutral while deadlifting feels awful to me.
    This remains a cue (to me), Matt, that your back angle is still a little flat at the start of the pull and perhaps accounting for the discomfort -- your neck is not neutral in most of those reps. With just a little more incline in the back angle, you'll be looking a little farther out and maintaining a neutral neck position. Ideally you'll be looking out about 8-10ft in front of you.

I always thought I was long-legged.
    I agree (with Spar and Mike) that your legs are longer than average, accounting somewhat for the flatter back angle. I was also re-watching Ripp's SS DL video on anatomy and set-up etc., and the "long legged" guy example they use still seems to show a slightly steeper back angle than you're getting here. That said, he also has long arms compared to yourself, and the angle of the camera sucks.

The relevant info is in the opening minute... but listen for the "back on your heels" cue around 52s and pause.

That's where I am saying your back angle could do with a little more steepness... I agree my original 4-6" is likely off at this point, but 2" would be just about right. Between a combination of "squeeze the chest up" and "back on the heels" cues, you may find your butt naturally drops the 2" I'm describing.

http://youtu.be/sP4FwBkuK6o

Anyway ... I think Spar hit the nail on the head when asking "How does the pull feel to you?". You'll have to feel this out for yourself and update the thread with feedback.

Try playing with some subtle adjustments to the back angle, including the advice of locking in the back and maintaining extension throughout each rep across the set... you will almost certainly feel stronger when you hit the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by pjthiel View Post
    That's where I am saying your back angle could do with a little more steepness... I agree my original 4-6" is likely off at this point, but 2" would be just about right. Between a combination of "squeeze the chest up" and "back on the heels" cues, you may find your butt naturally drops the 2" I'm describing.
    Watched the vid again this morning, and I think this is right. It looks like you’re slightly too far forward. If you shift your system back a bit, you should be good. The change in back angle will be slight, but it should help with getting/keeping the chest/t-spine tight.

This remains a cue (to me), Matt, that your back angle is still a little flat at the start of the pull and perhaps accounting for the discomfort -- your neck is not neutral in most of those reps. With just a little more incline in the back angle, you'll be looking a little farther out and maintaining a neutral neck position. Ideally you'll be looking out about 8-10ft in front of you.

I agree (with Spar and Mike) that your legs are longer than average, accounting somewhat for the flatter back angle. I was also re-watching Ripp's SS DL video on anatomy and set-up etc., and the "long legged" guy example they use still seems to show a slightly steeper back angle than you're getting here. That said, he also has long arms compared to yourself, and the angle of the camera sucks.

The relevant info is in the opening minute... but listen for the "back on your heels" cue around 52s and pause.

http://youtu.be/sP4FwBkuK6o

Anyway ... I think Spar hit the nail on the head when asking "How does the pull feel to you?". You'll have to feel this out for yourself and update the thread with feedback.

Try playing with some subtle adjustments to the back angle, including the advice of locking in the back and maintaining extension throughout each rep across the set... you will almost certainly feel stronger when you hit the sweet spot.
    Watched the vid again this morning, and I think this is right. It looks like you’re slightly too far forward. If you shift your system back a bit, you should be good. The change in back angle will be slight, but it should help with getting/keeping the chest/t-spine tight.
    so basically what I have to do is sit back a bit more before I initiate the pull? I remember seeing a video of Mike Tuchscherer talking about his deadlift. he sits back to a point where he'll fall over if he's not holding the bar. of course, i'm not him, but he gets into a really tight position before he pulls. I'll have to try it next week.

so basically what I have to do is sit back a bit more before I initiate the pull?
    Just a bit.

I remember seeing a video of Mike Tuchscherer talking about his deadlift. he sits back to a point where he'll fall over if he's not holding the bar. of course, i'm not him, but he gets into a really tight position before he pulls. I'll have to try it next week.
    It's up to you, but there are many good reasons why you shouldn't do this.

Just a bit.

Agreed ... "to the point of falling over" is too much imho. But yes, you need to get into a tighter position at the bottom using the heels down/chest-up cues. How much exactly can not be prescribed ... you'll know it when you find it.

starting strength coach development program
    Just a bit.

Agreed ... "to the point of falling over" is too much imho. But yes, you need to get into a tighter position at the bottom using the heels down/chest-up cues. How much exactly can not be prescribed ... you'll know it when you find it.
    will do. thank you both.
    Last edited by mattciupak; 09-29-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12