starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can't Squat past parallel: what is the issue? advice?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This may sound weird, but can you post a video of yourself sitting down on something that would be at about the level of a below parallel squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezpeasy View Post
    Watch this vid (or series if you have the time). In particular, I'd think the exercise/stretch at 1:05 of this vid will help you get used to the feel of being in the squat position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI

To me, it just seems like you're letting your back go slack from the get go. Make sure you warm up too

I've seen this video before, and I try to do it the stretch at 1:05 every now and then but it is very hard to hold the position and my back is really rounded (far more pronounced than he shows in the video).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Broke_Legs View Post
    No offense to OP by any means. . .but these guys have cracked me up . . .that is just fu$^$^ funny.
    It's alright. I'm fully aware that for asking for help on the internet is an invitation to ridicule and I'm fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    You dont even need a coach for barbell lifts, just someone to help you with your mobility.

You are going to have to work on mobility for quite a long time before its worth hitting the weights. Mobility is mouch more about strength and muscle control than it is about muscle extensibility. If you cannot control your body in simple movements unweighted, what do you expect during a challenging, potentially dangeous loaded movement?
    I've already thought about this. I've thought about just doing bodyweight exercises, stretches, and cardio until I can get to a decent level of fitness, and then just coming back to weights when I feel like I can do the movements well unweighted.

Quote Originally Posted by donk52 View Post
    This may sound weird, but can you post a video of yourself sitting down on something that would be at about the level of a below parallel squat?
    I have this one door frame that is actually about maybe 6 or 8 inches above the floor. When I sit in it, it is probably able the same level as an ATG squat. I can sit on it okay, but I can't really get up out of it without using my hands. Also, I'm not sure but I think my lower back gets very rounded in it.
    Last edited by Jei; 08-17-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Broke_Legs View Post
    I have never laughed so hard or so loud in the months I have been on this forum . . .

Literally crying at this point laughing so hard . . wife thinks I am psychotic . . . .funniest shit I have ever read . . scwot & StrongLift . .thanks . . .ROFLMAO

No offense to OP by any means. . .but these guys have cracked me up . . .that is just fu$^$^ funny.
    Jei. I want to make sure you understand that I was not laughing at you at all. When I said "that is just f#%#%#funny" I was referring to the comments, not your predicament. I want you to understand that. I have form issues of my own. I certainly was not referring to you and I apologize if it came across that way

Quote Originally Posted by Jei View Post
    I have this one door frame that is actually about maybe 6 or 8 inches above the floor. When I sit in it, it is probably able the same level as an ATG squat. I can sit on it okay, but I can't really get up out of it without using my hands. Also, I'm not sure but I think my lower back gets very rounded in it.
    Don't think about squats or anything. I just want to see you sit down on something low enough that your hips are slightly under your knees.

I decided I'm going to try and work on my mobility daily and get to acceptable bodyweight squat form before I decide barbell squat. Once I make some progress I will check-in. I might try to progress on my other lifts in the meantime.

@Brian

It's no problem I understand. My reply was more in response to the jokes. I know better than anyone how funny and pathetic I look trying to BW squat and I laugh at it too sometimes. But I know I am working on it and one day I will get better so everything is cool

Don't think about squats or anything. I just want to see you sit down on something low enough that your hips are slightly under your knees.
    I know a set of steps at my gym. I will try to take a video of it when I go on Monday. It might be the weirdest video ever: guy sits down on steps in gym lol.

Quote Originally Posted by scwot View Post
    This isn't meant to sound condescending but how do you take a dump? Do you hover 3 inches above the toilet seat?
    This is actually the best advice in this thread.

Odds are flexibility is only a small part of the problem. Amongst other things, strength and proprioception seem to be bigger issues.

I'd strongly suggest you try a less than body weight squat by holding onto something for support and getting as low as you can, even if you need to lean away and "hang" off the support. Sort of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...CWv8UPAI#t=77s

You can use that position as a slow stretch too, to sort of feel out where things are tight, and where it's just a balance/strength/proprioception issue.

Actually, I'd really like to see a video of you doing both - sitting in a below parallel chair as others suggest, and trying the "holding onto something" squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jei View Post
    @Brian

It's no problem I understand. My reply was more in response to the jokes. I know better than anyone how funny and pathetic I look trying to BW squat and I laugh at it too sometimes. But I know I am working on it and one day I will get better so everything is cool I know a set of steps at my gym. I will try to take a video of it when I go on Monday. It might be the weirdest video ever: guy sits down on steps in gym lol.
    You definitely have the attitude and determination to be successful. It takes balls to step out and ask for advice on these forums. Ironic how many that offer "advice" or criticism have NEVER had the character or self worth to put any type of video of themselves on here. I'm not far ahead of you. My form was squirrely for a long time due to previous injuries. But I started out like you - -body weigh, then the bar and I progressed 5lbs at a time starting with just the bar..talk about getting looks . .try being 6' nearly 300lbs and doing work sets with 2 1/2 pound plates on either side . . I've worked my way up . .and you have the attitude to do the same thing. Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    This is actually the best advice in this thread.

Odds are flexibility is only a small part of the problem. Amongst other things, strength and proprioception seem to be bigger issues.

I'd strongly suggest you try a less than body weight squat by holding onto something for support and getting as low as you can, even if you need to lean away and "hang" off the support. Sort of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...CWv8UPAI#t=77s

You can use that position as a slow stretch too, to sort of feel out where things are tight, and where it's just a balance/strength/proprioception issue.

Actually, I'd really like to see a video of you doing both - sitting in a below parallel chair as others suggest, and trying the "holding onto something" squat.
    This. The toilet thing is funny, but actually a good question.

Jei, I would strongly urge you to go see a credible physiotherapist or exercise physiologist. You have major hip mobility issues. And it looks like your muscle firing pattern is out of order. Have you posted these videos for Coach Rip? I'm sure he would have the most credible advice on this site.

You need to strengthen your abdominal muscles, and loosen your hips and hamstrings. You will be prescribed dynamic stretches that will need to be performed daily, and static stretches as part of your workout cool down routine.

I would probably say continue training, BUT only after a thorough warm up with dynamic stretches, and I would add some abdominal work and static stretches after your SS routine. Lots of bodyweight squats before even squatting with an empty bar, and once squatting with weight I would avoid descending below the point at which you can no longer maintain at least a neutral back.

Side to side leg swings, leg kicks, walking lunges, side lunges, knee to chest and quad dynamic stretches will definitely be useful. You can google these, there are clips on youtube, and start before you see a physio, but please make arrangements to see one. Fixing your mobility and having a proper assessment to ascertain whether there are irregular firing patterns are absolutely necessary.

starting strength coach development program
    Have you ever tried wider stance / knees waaayy more out?

Can you get into this position with any stance? (With support or not)

Also note how wide his knees are apart compared to your knees.

I'd suggest you to 'exercise' being at the bottom of the squat and forget getting up for now (until you can actually get into position with rigid back).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast