starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Can't Squat past parallel: what is the issue? advice?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You have serious issues with controlling your entire back. We can't tell from across the world and over the Internet whether this is some kind of structural or mobility issue, lack of kinesthetic sense, or abnormal weakness. However, you seem to be unable to place your back in extension even when just standing up.

Can you see some kind of physical therapist or something to get this evaluated?

What happens when you do the "superman" exercise described here?
    http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...sition_control

Can you perform the superman movement? Post video, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jei View Post
    I already uploaded a video to youtube about my deadlift. I haven't bothered posting it yet because the lighting is god awful, and my technique probably moreso. If I can get another video I will try.

As for number 1 I will work on it.
    Even your thoracic extension is severely lacking. Both your lumbar and thoracic spine are in considerable flexion during those pulls, and you're setting too high which leads to starting the rep with your shoulders too far forward. There is considerable hip rise before the bar breaks the ground and your lumbar flexion becomes more prevalent with each repetition. Your proprioception is obviously skewed, and with the limited information we have, I would also venture as far as saying your firing patterns are incorrect; probably due to what looks like years of improper posture.

You need professional help. Can you at least get to a chiropractor in Korea?

Quote Originally Posted by D.W. View Post
    Doing RDLs and Goodmornings could help. They teach you how to keep your lower back straight while going down (Important for squats and the lowering of a deadlift) and they stretch the shit out of your hamstrings + give you some training stimulus while working on mobility. From your deadlift video it appears that you don't know how to keep your back flat. Even if you are really unflexible you should be able to keep it straight when you lower the bar from the lockout position of the deadlift, but you just bend over by bending your spine.

You have the right attitude! It may be frustrating now, but you will get there!
    NOTE;

If you are going to try Goodmornings I suggest stick with a broomstick for a while and then work up to an unloaded bar. The exercise can be dangerous if not done under control, but can also be very effective in the way suggested. For RDL's, it will be important NOT to use a full range of motion. For you I imagine you wont be able to bend over more than 45º without losing back extension, so it will be important for you to stay within this range and focus on a tight back and getting a stretch in the hamstrings. Range should come in time.

I'd say trying any kind of GM now would be a waste of time at best.

I second the suggestion to find some kind of therapist - anything really. Even just some soft tissue work on your paraspinal muscles (+glutes, hams) might help "wake" things up. And I don't mean in a not-firing sense - I mean it might help you get a feel for the muscles and help with proprioception.

In the meantime, I'd suggest for now stay away from squats, deads for the time being. Follow the squat rx video that a couple of us already linked. Work from the bottom up. Hold onto something so strength/endurance isn't an issue. Forget the back for a moment and squat down as far as you can. While down there, play around with finding & feeling lumbar & thoracic extension. Move your hips around, try to feel hip flexion and extension and what that does to your lumbar and hams. Do that a few times every day. I'd do the supermans daily too.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    I'd say trying any kind of GM now would be a waste of time at best.

I second the suggestion to find some kind of therapist - anything really. Even just some soft tissue work on your paraspinal muscles (+glutes, hams) might help "wake" things up. And I don't mean in a not-firing sense - I mean it might help you get a feel for the muscles and help with proprioception.

In the meantime, I'd suggest for now stay away from squats, deads for the time being. Follow the squat rx video that a couple of us already linked. Work from the bottom up. Hold onto something so strength/endurance isn't an issue. Forget the back for a moment and squat down as far as you can. While down there, play around with finding & feeling lumbar & thoracic extension. Move your hips around, try to feel hip flexion and extension and what that does to your lumbar and hams. Do that a few times every day. I'd do the supermans daily too.
    I agree with this. Especially the comment on good mornings. I would definitely discourage you from implementing them, but the whole post is worth considering.

My squats looked a lot like yours when I first started. You've got a long road ahead of you, but if you stick with it and do the work, you'll be able to make progress. You might not ever be able to do a textbook squat, but you'll be able to make strength gains just the same.

Here's some things I'd do, starting now:

1. Get a foam roller. Concentrate on your entire back, your glutes, and your psoas. Look up how to foam roll the psoas. If foam rollers aren't popular in Korea, get a length of PVC pipe and use that. It'll hurt more, but it will help you reach your goals.

2. Use the leg press machine for a while. Do something to strengthen your hamstrings as well. Part of the issue is that your legs are simply weak right now. Your body doesn't want to lower into a squat because it knows you'll fall over. Your body doesn't want to fall, so it refuses to go lower. Get stronger in your legs without having to fear falling by using the machines FOR NOW. After a month, try real squats again. Once you can squat, stop using the leg press (except for injury rehab).

3. Try any possible stance. My squat stance looks something like this:

but my heels are in weightlifting shoes with a higher heel, I don't have a 2x4 under my heels, and my heels are even closer together than that. It is FAR from ideal, but it is the only way I can squat. My weight sucks (my max right now is 315 this way, and I can bench that much), but I'm squatting and I'm breaking parallel. That's the bigger goal, the weight will improve over time.

Oh, my bad, i should've been more precise. I meant doing goodmornings and RDLs with no or really light weights. For goodmornings a broomstick is a great idea. An RDL should go as low as your back stays extended, this can be controlled by videotaping. When you have the form on RDLs down you can add weight slowly, if form stays perfect. This should not be heavy work but it will benefit you by increasing back strength and it's a far more effective method of hamstring stretching than most mobility exercises.

I think a great danger now is to get lost in all the advice given in this thread. Make some kind of concept on how you want to get to the barbell exercises and do it.

starting strength coach development program
    Two words: Information Overload. It's good that everyone's trying to help Jei out... It's unfortunate that each has a different route for Jei to take. I wish we could hear Coach Rip's take on Jei's video.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345