starting strength gym

Thread: Squat deload form check

Default Squat deload form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Lower back is very good. Your depth needs to be much lower.

Also you should adjust your bar position by moving the bar lower, and widening your grip will help too.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    Lower back is very good. Your depth needs to be much lower.

Also you should adjust your bar position by moving the bar lower, and widening your grip will help too.
    Hey Mike, got any link from this forum who has a really good bar positioning, so I can compare?

There are a lot, but I don't keep track of them, sorry.

Thanks MikeC1.

Amazing jay, goto Vimeo and search for platform: the squat bar position

Get a new camera guy. From what could be seen, they seemed alright. Your descent is very slow, though, especially the first bit.

Damn, your friend likes to figet around, hold the cam still. I'm sure there would be more replies if the videos were stable.

The bar appeared to be above the spine of the scapula, high bar position. Check this video: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position

I can't comment on depth as I need a video from the side, the videos from the side you posted weren't clear. Another point of notice was that your knees were tracking forward at the bottom of the squat, they should be kept stable at a certain position above or slightly ahead of your toes. Only move your knees forward so much as to allow the remainder of the squat to become a hip movement.

Were you squatting slow on purpose? Try to decrease time under tension, squat faster but remain tight and in control. Don't relax your muscles to go down faster or increase the speed of descent.

Look down, focus your gaze on a point three feet in front of you. It helps with increasing hip drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal_k View Post
    Damn, your friend likes to figet around, hold the cam still. I'm sure there would be more replies if the videos were stable.

The bar appeared to be above the spine of the scapula, high bar position. Check this video: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position

I can't comment on depth as I need a video from the side, the videos from the side you posted weren't clear. Another point of notice was that your knees were tracking forward at the bottom of the squat, they should be kept stable at a certain position above or slightly ahead of your toes. Only move your knees forward so much as to allow the remainder of the squat to become a hip movement.

Were you squatting slow on purpose? Try to decrease time under tension, squat faster but remain tight and in control. Don't relax your muscles to go down faster or increase the speed of descent.

Look down, focus your gaze on a point three feet in front of you. It helps with increasing hip drive.
    Thank you for your reply and pointers.

The bar position is based on what I felt was most stable. How much down does it need to go?

I am squatting slow because of trying to maintain form, nothing else. I find it hard to keep my legs under tension.

I thought you are supposed to initiate the movement with hips, so that is why I can't shove my knees out quickly by the time I am half way down.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodToGo View Post
    Thank you for your reply and pointers.

The bar position is based on what I felt was most stable. How much down does it need to go?

I am squatting slow because of trying to maintain form, nothing else. I find it hard to keep my legs under tension.

I thought you are supposed to initiate the movement with hips, so that is why I can't shove my knees out quickly by the time I am half way down.
    No problem. Watch the video I posted for more information on the correct bar position. Keep trying to increase your speed under tension, you won't be lifting any challenging weights in that fashion.

The "knees out" cue should always be on your mind, actively shove your knees out during the entire movement. Some people can shove their knees out beyond their toes outwards, they should focus on just keeping the knees in-line with their toes.

When you feel that your form has improved post another form check video in this thread.