starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check - Injury Video!

Default Deadlift Form Check - Injury Video!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    History: 23 years old, Noob lifting approx 10 years, MMA about 18 months, did 2-3 months of Stronglifts 5x5 in winter, cut weight + did cardio for MMA, started up Starting Strength about 2 months ago and plan to drop MMA and continue getting stronger indefinitely.

Squatting is fine and I'm getting great depth, ATG with constant tight back arch. I realised I was doing good mornings with 130kg (thanks to rip's hip drive video) but I dropped 20kg and sorted it now.

However with deadlift I did the same thing, after watched his video on deadlifts I stopped dropping my hips and just set the bar across the middle of my feet, grab it and bend my shins to the bar and pull. Following this new form instead of sitting back low I ended up popping my SI joint. It hurt for a few days but I kept mobile and did smolov for ohp press for 3 weeks and I'm back to heavy squatting without pain, but I'm pretty put off deadlifts now as I don't think they are worth the injury risk when safer alternatives are there.

Still, I think it is worth getting my form checked and making sure I'm at least doing them right if I keep them and go light.

In the video is what looks like about 115kg for an easy 5 with hips low and then 1 rep of 130kg hips high in which I had the injury. On the way up it in my back it felt and sounded like an extreme joint crack like your fingers or neck popping trapped air. At 0.41 think you can actually see a slightly kick in my hamstring/glutes like a snap. It wasn't terrible after a bit numb and painful but more worrying than anything else so I didn't bother with the rest of the 5. I'd hit 125kg x 5 easily the previous deadlift day. PR during my SL run was 135kg single, not tested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NRxu0d6Xn4&feature=plcp

If anyone can point out and issues or things to work on that would be great. I can try and take a side on video if that is better.

Thank you.

tough to tell anything from that angle, except you have weird taste in hats

Quote Originally Posted by Creatine View Post
    but I'm pretty put off deadlifts now as I don't think they are worth the injury risk when safer alternatives are there.
    You can avoid deadlifts, but, unfortunately, they have no real equivalent.

If anyone can point out and issues or things to work on that would be great. I can try and take a side on video if that is better.
    You should read the sticky at the top of the forum on how to film form checks. The angles you chose are not helpful.

Lastly, I suggest you buy and read Starting Strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    tough to tell anything from that angle, except you have weird taste in hats
    I have long messy hair and I cycle to the gym with a beanie on, sometimes leave it on unless its especially hot.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    You can avoid deadlifts, but, unfortunately, they have no real equivalent.

You should read the sticky at the top of the forum on how to film form checks. The angles you chose are not helpful.

Lastly, I suggest you buy and read Starting Strength.
    I'm under the impression that squatting increases your DL and I do a lot of grip work, so without a big deadlift as a goal I'm alright with not doing them regularly, just messes up the program is all.

Ah thanks I'll follow those steps and get a decent video.

I would buy it but I'm kinda too poor to be spending 2 months gym pass on it (uk cheapest seems to be around 100USD) when I'm starting to slow down on some lifts so I'll probably move onto another program in a few months, if I was going to get it I should have got it months ago.