starting strength gym

Thread: Rehab DL check

Default Rehab DL check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

I'm the guy from this thread (http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=33836). I began decompressing in earnest and a few weeks ago started working in some light deadlifts a few times a week. I've been doing 5s, not having gone above 115#. While I'm certain it was my squat form that caused the initial injury, the combined mental and physical effects of a protracted layoff and frustrating (non)recovery process have left me feeling anxious and unsure about most things training-related, and so I'm hoping to trouble you for a look at a set of light deads from today:

(Note: musical choice intended to be ironic – I'm not feeling stronger, nor am I feeling anything other than a nihilistic rage toward this obstinate injury).

It's only 75# but I figure I might as well make sure I'm not doing anything to hinder my recovery. I bought a belt from Dean and Jackie, but I've yet to start using it, as the weights are light and I'm trying to concentrate on just keeping my back rock solid.

As for squats, I've yet to really start working those in, as the aforementioned physical and mental confusion have left me feeling very hesitant to jump back into that game without some proper coaching. On that note, any recommendations in the Los Angeles area? The coaching directory turns up Marcus Heidtman and Paul Horn; the website for Marcus' CrossFit affiliate says he's currently not available for private training, and I can't figure out who Paul Horn is, but I'll shoot him a private message if he's the guy worth tracking down.

Thanks.

Back is fine...if this is rehab you would be doing more reps and adding weight as quickly as you can.

Appreciate the feedback. In general, is it best to do high-rep work and then bring down the reps as you add weight over time? Or do these sorts of injuries seem to respond better to sticking with high reps even as you increase weight until one is healthy enough to get back on a normal training program?

Weight will obviously have to drop eventually...just keep adding weight until you hit your 5's...