starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Just jerk that s**t, motherf***er

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I would repost video in that SSC sub-forum/thread.
    Stef I think was an oly lifter at one point
    Not enough difference compared to last time, I don't want to bother them for so little. I might post again once I can clearly see some improvements, so it might take two-three months (taking my schedule into consideration).
    Stef's suggestion (cut the depth) was precious, it was one of the few that was both to the point and immediately actionable. That's where I am going to start.

Many thanks as usual for wasting your time on my videos, it is much appreciated.

IPB

Hello everyone,

I've recently gone upstairs to post an update about my Jerk; http://startingstrength.com/resource...nusual-ii.html

The executive summary says that there are good news and bad news.
    The good news is that it looks like it is finally improving, although it's still not perfect.
    The bad news is that this better action is so far achieved, and it's maybe only achievable, with very light weights.

Still, I work on the belief that it's easier to add weight to a good movement than correct a bad movement under a lot of weight, so overall I am pleased.

IPB

Wow, has it really been more than a year? And is it worth updating this to report a paltry 2Kg increase since then (bit of a spoiler there)?

Let's start again. Last update on this thread was back in September 2015, when I had started working my way very slowly back to normal weights, trying to get rid of the tendency to rock forward during the inversion phase between the dip and the drive. Did it work? Well, yes, up to a point.
    The pattern has been that I can maintain decent, occasionally good form up to a certain percentage of my PR, and then things go a bit Pete Tong towards the top range of the weights. In particular, as the bar becomes heavier, I tend to forget the good habits, and repeat a couple of mistakes:

- diving too deep
    - diving too fast.

You can clearly see this tendency in this video, shot back in December 2015, when I managed an 80 Kg single.

17_dec_2015_Jerk on Vimeo

Since then, I haven't actually had the time to re-test my Jerk (until last night, of course); first a change in working circumstances severely curtailed the time I could spend doing fast lifts. Then, in an effort to claw back the lost time, I tried to rush through the usual program, but only managed to get nowhere fast. Cue September 2016, when I finally had the time to work on the lift and follow my usual program. And the result is the sequence that you can see in the video below, culminating with a new 82Kg PR single (sorry about the poor light, it gets dark early in this season).

13 Dec 2016 Jerk on Vimeo

So, only 2Kg more? And you call this progress?
    Well, yes; even very slow progress is progress, nonetheless. To be honest, I seem unable to go any faster. To put things in context, over the same, disrupted period, my Press has increased 2Kg, and my squat 8Kg (same as my deadlift); so, a 2Kg increase in the Jerk is not too bad for me.
    It would actually be interesting to see what the increase will be at the end of 2017, and see how it correlates to increases in the squat and press (and front squat too). I'll make sure to report in twelve months time.

The technical flaws present on maximal weights are still there, but overall I think my action and especially my lock have improved. Compare the 80Kg single back in December, with that staggered, wobbly recovery, with what happened last night; I think you will agree one looks better than the other. On top of this, consider that I cannot afford to drop a Jerk, because it would just make too much of a noise, and upset the neighbours (although this won't affect the increase from one year to the next).

So, I know where my errors are, I've got plenty of excuses, and I make glacial progress; why do I post here then? Well, at least two reasons.
    First, this is one of the few threads dedicated to the Jerk in this section, and maybe, just maybe, there is some curiosity about this seldom-spotted lift, so I thought it would be worth making an update for those two of three interested souls.
    Second, and I realise this is pretty selfish, despite everything, I am fairly chuffed with my new PR, and I really wanted to tell someone.
    Sorry,

IPB

Good jerk man! Congrats on the PR.

I saw the following video a time ago. I don't advocate this teaching method necessarily. But the preparatory drills really helped my dip and drive on my jerk.
    Maybe this will help you stay on your heels?

X Marks the Spot - A guided instruction to the Split Jerk - YouTube

That said, the first rep on the second video looked much better than the first video.

It seems to still go forwards at the bottom of your dip, just as you begin to drive upwards.
    Moar weight on the bar will probably result in forward misses.

It seems if your (anyone) knees and toes are fairly forward facing, and you dip that low, this results in the torso being taking forward with the knees.

I've seem some recommend a more toes out/knees out stance. . . .trying to get the torso to move straight up&down.

Just an idea.

Kono talks about toes out knees out ("like a ballerina")

Tommy Kono - 5 - Slide Presentation on Weightlifting - YouTube

He talks about the mistake of a torso-forward-leaning-dip. . . . but that's not what you have.
    Your torso stays vertical, but it seems the hips and bar move forward while your torso stays upright/plumb.
    . . .it shifts to your balls somehow
    Last edited by MBasic; 12-14-2016 at 04:31 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bhara View Post
    I saw the following video a time ago.
    Many thanks for the video Bhara, those drills are indeed very interesting, and I had never heard of them.

Moar weight on the bar will probably result in forward misses.
    Which is why I don't pure more weight; as I said, I cannot afford a miss.

It seems if your (anyone) knees and toes are fairly forward facing, and you dip that low, this results in the torso being taking forward with the knees.
    I agree, it makes sense.

Kono talks about toes out knees out ("like a ballerina")
    Your torso stays vertical, but it seems the hips and bar move forward while your torso stays upright/plumb.
    . . .it shifts to your balls somehow
    I seem to have a mental problem when the weight goes heavy (for me, of course). For lower weights, I have managed to follow a proper list of setup cues: toes out, knees out, shallow dip, check elbows are level. Driving from a 'ballerina' position still feels weird, but I can force myself to focus on it and do it.

But on max or near-max attempts, my brain literally forgets. Thinking about the other night, when I filmed those attempts, I know for sure that I never went through this cue list at all. My only cues on the night were:

- lock arms fast
    - bang it! (the foot on the platform)

I literally stopped thinking the moment I unracked the bar. I think it's a sort of confidence deficit; from the moment I unrack, every second I spend with the bar on the shoulders is a second when my brain can feel the weight, and worry about the madness of trying to get that weight overhead. Under these conditions, what my brain wants to do is to get on as quickly as possible, and that includes forgetting about the right cues.
    It seems obvious now, sitting at my desk, but I can see how that happened there and then.
    I now realise this is a big drawback of lifting alone; once your mind gets locked in the wrong loop, there is nobody around to unlock it.
    Just talking about this here has allowed me to become aware of what was happening (one more reason why people like you and Bhara, taking the time to read and reply, are so precious).

I will have to pay more attention to it next time I attempt a max weight, although I still don't know how to make sure I won't forget.

IPB

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345