starting strength gym

Thread: General squat form check (5x250 lbs)

Default General squat form check (5x250 lbs)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone

I've been trying so hard lately to get my squat form to look like Rippetoe's (while taking into account our body differences).

My form:

Rippetoe's form:

I've been putting these two side by side to look at the differences. Looking at my video, the only thing I can really say I'd want to change is to slightly narrow my stance. I aim for shoulder-width and it seems like I'm wider than that, but the angle might be confusing. The SS book also talks about lumbar overextension; I've had this problem since I'm an extremely flexible person, but I don't think it's an issue here.

Any thoughts?

Back overextension is as bad as flexion, but if you dont feel anything there, dont mind the comment. Are your knees caving in? If yes, close your stance. Is Rip at the second vid? I thought you were after 30 years...

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Not bad...shove those knees out harder...they get a little wobbly at times. But looks pretty good overall.

Quote Originally Posted by tsoukase View Post
    Back overextension is as bad as flexion, but if you dont feel anything there, dont mind the comment. Are your knees caving in? If yes, close your stance. Is Rip at the second vid? I thought you were after 30 years...
    Yes, I said "Rippetoe's Form:" and the title of the video is Rippetoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Not bad...shove those knees out harder...they get a little wobbly at times. But looks pretty good overall.
    Okay, and yeah I figured the big thing was to get the knees stable before I move on to the upper 200s.