starting strength gym

Thread: Ugly squatmornings - Legal in competition?

Default Ugly squatmornings - Legal in competition?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've got a serious urge to get myself registered for an actual raw PL meet.

I also have been fighting off the terribly powerful tendency for my very near-maximal squats to become squatmornings.

Would something like these get passed despite looking like garbage?

365 x 3 @ bw ~162

http://youtu.be/ZAp7xO2EAjw

We really need a side view to say for sure. They're at least close enough I couldn't say one way or another without a side view.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    We really need a side view to say for sure. They're at least close enough I couldn't say one way or another without a side view.
    I'm actually confident on the depth (then again so are half the people who post form checks with high squats around here). I had 2 training partners and they were actually yelling that I was far too low on at least 1 of the reps. I just meant if there's any red lightable offense in having the hips blatantly rise before the chest. I guess I should read the entire rulebook of whatever organization I decide to compete in, but I just wanted to pick a few brains around here first.

Nah, as long as the bar doesn't dip back down during the ascent you're fine. There's nothing like that in your squats. I've seen some godawful-looking squats get 3 whites.

In regards to the depth even without the side view I can tell they weren't "far too low". They're probably fine but I wouldn't start thinking you can cut them 2" higher or something.

So ugly is legal after all. Thanks for the info. I think my partner yelled "too low" just on the third. Anyway, I'll definitely take some different angles (as best as I can in an 8' x 8' "gym") with some heavy doubles and single once I have a competition picked out and a taper schedule figured out.