starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: squats formcheck and main concern with deformity in my feet and knees suffering

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Is that a diagnosis of an actual condition? Are the toes not naturally lined up with the knees? Where's the actual deformity, at the hip, femur, knee, shin, or ankle? Why should it stop someone from squatting, if they can do everything else in life (like walk around) even if they need to adjust the angle of their feet?
    in my case, the deformity is at the foot itself. i walk normally but my feet are pointing outwards like a duck.
    Last edited by haorex; 01-19-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haorex View Post
    in my case, the deformity is at the foot itself. i walk normally but my feet are pointing outwards like a duck.
    But your knees point in a normal direction? Then why can't you squat normally but just point your toes out at an angle greater than 30*?

well, what im doing know its supposed to be a normal squat, but i do them with angled feet.

Quote Originally Posted by haorex View Post
    well, what im doing know its supposed to be a normal squat, but i do them with angled feet.
    Well, we all squat with angled feet around here, to my knowledge. 30-35 degrees out from straight ahead. So if your feet are pointed out in comparison to your knees, point your toes out however wide that you need to so that you can shove your knees out to 30-35 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Let's assume your feet have an additional 15-20 degrees of external rotation "built-in". Simply add this to the prescribed ~30 degrees for the form to get 45-50 degrees of outward rotation from dead ahead. The only issue I would truly expect is taking more care to keep the bar path over mid-foot.

If the actual degrees of rotation varies from my assumption, so be it, just vary the angular variance accordingly. Does that make sense?
    it does, will try. thanks!

Do you mean you have flat feet? That's the only thing I could find in my book 'principles of orthopaedic practice' to cause abduction in the feet themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinVdBroecke View Post
    Do you mean you have flat feet? That's the only thing I could find in my book 'principles of orthopaedic practice' to cause abduction in the feet themselves.
    No, he's saying his feet are excessively angled outward, if I understand him.

Yes, but he's also saying the problem is located in the feet, not at the tibia or femur. So that only leaves pes planovalgus...

Edit: looking at the video, I guess he just has a minor tibial torsion. He should just get a decent squat rack or make one himself and squat.
    Last edited by RobinVdBroecke; 01-22-2015 at 12:04 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinVdBroecke View Post
    minor tibial torsion.
    Yeah, I was trying to ask that earlier, in less precise sounding words due to not being smrt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12