starting strength gym

Thread: Press - hip thrust questions, belt, etc

Default Press - hip thrust questions, belt, etc

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello.

My current lifts are pretty weak: DL 230x5 Sq 230x5 Press 100x5 I have only recently been upping the calories, realizing that part of the program. I am about 6'1", 180

I have been doing presses for several months, with basically no lower body movement. This is due to an older L4/L5 injury that I have been avoiding. The lower back hasn't given much issue, but I have been very conscious to avoid rounding of the lumbar.

I recently reviewed one of Mark's recent videos on the press, which emphasized the total body aspect of the press, including the hip movement. I practiced that movement a little , without the bar, and it felt pretty good. I think I'll carefully incorporate that into the press, starting very light to see how it goes.

I noticed the use of a weight belt in the videos. I haven't been using a belt in any lifts, assuming it would make my back stronger without it (and I haven't been lifting mountains of weight by any stretch). I suspect it would be a good protection to use a belt with the press?

Thoughts?

What mgilchrest said is correct.

I'd like to comment on what you said about improving your back strength without a belt. The purpose of the belt is to provide external resistance around the gut. The resistance allows you to produce a harder contraction with the muscles of the trunk (when you perform the valsalva). This resistance actually helps those muscles to get stronger than they could without the belt.

Being able to produce a harder contraction gives you greater spinal stability while pressing or performing any of the other lifts. The increased spinal stability will help to keep your spine healthy while you lift and, as mgilchrest mentioned, it also helps you to lift more weight and thus become stronger.

Thanks. That makes sense. Now, I think Rip recommends a basic 4" straight weight belt, for all practical purposes. I would probably have to mail order this (I gave my old tapered "weider" belt away). Do I need to measure distance between ribs and hips or something like that? Or just order a 4" belt and make it work?

Thanks! that is very helpful

I ordered the Rogue belt, and used it last night with squats and presses, as well as part of the cleans. I think I cleaned better without the belt. However, the squats especially and the presses felt stronger with the belt. I think my squat form was better, too, though I'll put up a video one of these days to be sure,