starting strength gym

Thread: squat lower back pain

Default squat lower back pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hi,

I have been doing the program 1,5 month now and I'm struggling alot with the squat, all the other lifts are going good but after i squat i get alot of pain in my lower back, this pain lasts for about 2 days. even with very low wheight (60kg)
    going parallel feels a bit unnatural for me, if i squat without bar i fall back before hitting parallel.
    i think my knee angle isnt good, but dont know how to fix it.
    hope any of you can help me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tScJ...ature=youtu.be

3 tips

Look down, at a point 4-5 feet in front of you.
    Shove your knees out, HARD!
    Don't be afraid to bend at the hips. Nipples to the floor!

Focus on these 3 things during a set of 5, and post your results.

get some flat shoes. get under the bar and get everything tight/ brace before you unrack. dont over emphasize sittting back, think both simultaneously. stetch/ foam roll calves. try toes out more and/or wider stance. experiment with what works for you, starting strength works for most people minor tweaks to stance width ect may be needed. you arent getting enough depth because you are sitting back too much and knees are not coming forward enough and as you bounce out of the bottom i suspect that even though you back dosent dramatically round it is still getting jarred because of how far back youre hips are

after looking at the video again i am fairly certain you need toes out more and possibly wider stance. it looks like youre hips "bottom out" because of your narrow stance you're femurs are in the way and you hips cannot go between legs any further. combined with emphasizing sitting back and possible tight calves, you simply cannot acheive depth and youre lower/mid back looses tightness as you reach you're maximum depth. which is would explain youre back pain. sorry i wrote all of this on my phone.

to tie it all together
    1. improve walk out
    2. flare out toes to around 30° experiment with stance width. knees must track over toes. stretch out adductors if you have trouble with this.
    3. do not purely sit back. balance knees forward with hips back
    4. get flat lifting shoes or chuck taylors
    Last edited by jvynerma; 11-26-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Do NOT get flat shoes. Keep the shoes you have. Just ignore what jvynerma said. Adam Franklin gave you some solid advice, which I would reiterate and addend.

Addendum: Do NOT squat in front of a mirror. Once you are squatting no longer facing a mirror, then be highly conscious of the sensation of pressure (i.e. balance) across the surface of the foot. The pressure should be EVEN. This might feel like it is in THE MIDDLE. It looks like you're lacking some proprioception, which you can improve just by squatting more, which will happen given Adam's 3 pointers. This process can be sped up when you are primed to be highly conscious of the movement of the body in space and especially of the distribution of pressure on the foot. Looking at a mirror impedes this process.

so i did my next workout today, using the tips you guys gave me.
    in my opinion it went alot better today, though i stell felt some pressure on my back it was alot less than before.
    my squat still isnt perfect, but i'm sure it will get better the more i practise it.
    i will implement the bounce in my next training.
    so here is the squat i did today, maybe you see something i need to work on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pue8QwmSAY0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkW2lQQHsg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by niekschlosser; 11-28-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Despite the camera angle, you can still see your beginning to crane your neck up as soon as you descend in to the rep. DON'T DO THAT. Set your eyes AND head down load and fix them there. Imagine you are holding a tennis ball underneath your chin THE WHOLE TIME. When you perform the valsalva, get real fucking tight. Don't just tighten up the back. Squeeze your abs and everything else real hard and then bounce out of the bottom.

Your form looks very similar to how I was squatting when I was having knee pain. I was not getting my knees forward enough...among other things. It's possible that you might benefit from the cues recently given to me by the SS coaches to make corrections.

knee pain...squat form check please

I would recommend re-reading the part in the book about getting your knees to the correct position. It is location ~1461 in kindle, around Figure 2-50. It was very helpful for me to make the squat 2 movements as instructed in the book: shove knees forward and out to their position, stop, then move hips only the rest of the way down. I really needed to practice the 1st part of the movement to get used to that knees forward position. Squat in 2 movements a few times until you get the hang of it then transition to 1 movement.

Still a beginner, not a coach, but just my 2 cents...good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jvynerma View Post
    get some flat shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Milstein View Post
    Just ignore what jvynerma said.
    This.
    Last edited by amsgator; 12-02-2015 at 10:10 PM.