starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check (335 x 5 Attempt)

Default Deadlift Form Check (335 x 5 Attempt)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    -21 / 6'1" / 194 lbs
    -Currently on week 6 of Madcow 5x5 after stalling on stronglifts 5x5
    -Currently not competing, just trying to build a solid base of strength so I can look into competing one day
    -Most recent lifts: Bench - 3x225 / Squat 5x285 / DL 4x335 (Sloppy)

Form video: https://youtu.be/gjq3t6g1IBc

I have been struggling for some time now to maintain steady progression of my deadlift due to the issue of lower back rounding. I've deloaded multiple times in an attempt to rework form with manageable weight; but every time I progress, my lower-back struggles to keep up and I'll eventually stall then deload again due to the decline in my form. I feel my lower back losing tightness in the bottom position of my squat. I believe this issue may be contributing to my difficulty progressing in my squats as well.

I am hoping that someone can offer some advice on correcting my form. I'm predicting that I'll have to deload again, but I'd appreciate any comments on my set-up and possibly integrating some assistance work into Madcow 5x5.
    Last edited by africanwargoat; 12-05-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Do you have the book? SS3?
    Last edited by bhara; 12-05-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Grammar Nazi

Yessir, I got it at home

Ok, just checking, since YDAP.
    For starters, excessive leanback at lockout. And neck position.
    You will get more suggestions here soon enough.
    Probably about chest up. I'm not in a position to say anything about that.

EDIT: get a squat check as well if you can, since you mentioned that, and I have a feeling it needs correction.. calling it now
    Last edited by bhara; 12-05-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Read the deadlift chapter again. You're moving that bar all over the place before you get into your final position. The bar isn't suppose to move backwards or forwards AT ALL. The only time the bar moves is when it's being pulled from the floor. And the only direction it's suppose to move is straight up and down.

Most importantly, I recommend switching to starting strength instead of madcow.

1 - You're looking up waaaaay too high. Pick a point roughly 10-15' in front of you on the floor and stare at it. You want to keep a neutral spine, including your cervical spine. Don't crane your neck all the way up.
    2 - You are not using the set up sequence as described and recommended in SSBBT3E. You have the book, read it, use it.
    3 - I'd like to be able to see from a very slightly oblique forward angle how the bar is tracking along the shin and thigh. I'd also like to see a perfect profile shot from well above the bar to see how to tracks along the body in a straight (or not so straight) line. The camera is really far away. Ask someone to film you rather than setting the camera on the floor and at such distance. The worm's eye view isn't very good for the dead. Higher angle and perfect or slight oblique profile. If it is an oblique profile, bias towards the anterior.
    4 - It looks like your lumbar spine is rounding slightly before the bar leaves the floor. This could be due to poor proprioception, insufficient lumbar extensor strength/too much weight on the bar, or too rapid a set up/pull. On this last point, make sure you are squeezing the bar up off the floor and not "ripping" the bar up off the floor. Attempting to rapidly pull the bar from the floor (especially in a novice) almost always results in spinal flexion, which you are demonstrating. You are progressively increasing the tension in the system until the bar smoothly breaks with the floor and travels straight up. As you are pulling the chest up, imagine you are watching a pressure gauge and driving the needle up smoothly to a critical point such that bar "floats" up off the floor.

Reread the deadlift chapter and fix the set up sequence. Squeeze the bar off the floor with control. Look down more. Fix the camera angle.

I'm going to skip the discussion regarding choice of programs.

Stop moving the bar. Once it's over mid-foot, it doesn't move! Also, grab the bar with straight legs. Then bring your shins to the bar without moving the bar.

Read the book, watch the videos, they're free for gods sake

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you all for the constructive criticism. From what I've read, it seems my biggest technique issue is my poor set-up leading to a sloppy, and in-efficient pull. Additionally, I am over-extending my neck, and I am not keeping the bar at midfoot which is compromising my bar path. I've taken your comments to heart and will be re-reading the deadlift chapter in the hopes of refining my technique.

I'll be done with finals and headed home soon to a better training environment and supportive training partners.

I hope to follow up this post in the future with a cleaner pull (and perhaps a squat) for you guys to critique.

Again, everyone's advice so far has been very much appreciated