starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check for beginner

Default Squat check for beginner

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here is a set of 5 from the first trainee I am attempting to coach. We have had trouble getting him to depth. How are we doing and what are the major things we should be focusing on? He is a complete novice - his 4th session ever squatting. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/f7lMOoq5fy8

First off, it looks like the bar is pretty much in a high bar position. Fix that first. He's trying to keep his back angle close to vertical-again like a high bar squat. Cue him to point his nipples at the floor. And decrease weight and make sure he's hitting proper depth consistently.

Two biggest problems: he's using a high bar position and he doesn't have squat shoes.

His back is too vertical which is forcing his knees (and bar) forward to facilitate depth. Fixing the back angle will keep the knees and bar in the correct position.

Squat shoes will help, but if you're going to have him squat barefoot, at least do it without socks so he doesn't slip. Socks are so damn slippery.
    You may also consider cutting a piece of mat to make the ground level under the bar. It sounds finicky, but you don't want to be thinking about the floor when you have so much other shit to think about.

As the other commentators have noted, the bar is in the wrong position. No other commentary is relevant until you figure out how to hold the bar. Reread the squat chapter and watch this video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0

...then get back to us.

Thank you very much for all of the comments. The floor is level. This was his first set without my constant cueing (I didn't want to be distracting for the video), plus he said the video made him nervous. I think he missed the placement on his back because we had been getting it into the right position. The feedback is much appreciated and gives us the most important things to focus on. He's a difficult trainee for my first official one!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Thank you very much for all of the comments. The floor is level. This was his first set without my constant cueing (I didn't want to be distracting for the video), plus he said the video made him nervous. I think he missed the placement on his back because we had been getting it into the right position. The feedback is much appreciated and gives us the most important things to focus on. He's a difficult trainee for my first official one!
    Definitely post an update. I love seeing improvement videos.