starting strength gym

Thread: Overhead Press - Form Check

Default Overhead Press - Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    OHP is getting harder so I thought it was time for a check. Bar path could use some work, looks like / instead of |. Feels vertical, but it's not. Any other tips? Do I need to work to keep the bar closer to my face on the eccentric? It feels like it is going to hit me in the nose, but there is some distance there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9ROql8KWk

(Next time I will try to shoot at the recommended 45 degree angle rather than almost end-on.)

Why you no 2.0?

Starting Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Why you no 2.0?

Starting Strength
    I know that video. I've watched it at least three times. I tried to use Press 2.0 during my first LP attempt earlier this year (Jan-Feb 2015), I got sloppy and couldn't maintain tightness in my core and legs when incorporating my hips. Bar path was inconsistent at best. Without a coach, trying to teach myself was kind of a mess.

Edit to add: I can do it OK with light loads. It's during the work sets when I just don't have enough brain cycles available that aren't screaming "UP!".
    Last edited by teebob21; 12-09-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks, mgilchrest. I've got a belt on the Christmas list...let's see if Mrs. Santa comes through for me or not.

Agreed with elbows forward, this set was heavy enough I couldn't think too much about anything other than driving my fists through the tin roof. I recorded all three work sets, and this was easily the grindiest/sloppiest/gruntiest one. I thought I was getting some layback too, but I'm pretty much strict pressing it. Oh, and it was a balmy 66F when I was outside today.

Tips/suggestions for wrist wraps? Haven't considered this item of gear before.

I see the same thing with the elbows, but it's not THAT BAD. You could try cueing yourself to keep your chest up and squeeze your elbows in a little.
    The bar path needs to come towards your face a bit on both the eccentric and concentric. Think harder about hitting your nose. At first it'll almost feel as if you're pressing backwards. Let the video be the judge.
    Question: do you feel obligated to touch the bar to your upper chest? I can't tell from the video if this is the case. I've seen it happen too many times to count. Most people have a mental image of the bar touching the upper chest at the bottom position as if it's absolutely necessary. Just food for thought on that one.

As far as wrist wraps are concerned I have a pair of SBD's and love them. Well worth the money. Go to www.titansupportsystems.com . They have a good selection. For a first pair you probably don't need anything too robust. Red Devil has some good, yet inexpensive ones.
    Last edited by Scott.Acosta; 12-09-2015 at 09:10 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Acosta View Post
    I see the same thing with the elbows, but it's not THAT BAD. You could try cueing yourself to keep your chest up and squeeze your elbows in a little.
    The bar path needs to come towards your face a bit on both the eccentric and concentric. Think harder about hitting your nose. At first it'll almost feel as if you're pressing backwards. Let the video be the judge.
    Question: do you feel obligated to touch the bar to your upper chest? I can't tell from the video if this is the case. I've seen it happen too many times to count. Most people have a mental image of the bar touching the upper chest at the bottom position as if it's absolutely necessary. Just food for thought on that one.
    I have long forearms relative to my humerus. With vertical forearms, I can't physically touch the bar to my chest. With my elbows all the way up, my wrists come almost to my neck. (This makes cleans a bitch to do correctly.) As Rip wrote in The Book, the bar "floats" in front of my neck. All I do is go low enough to feel the stretch, and try to use a little bounce reflex.

Cues so far to practice: Press 2.0 hips, layback & verticality, brush the nose both up and down.

Edit to add: Scott, that domain name seems to be expired. Typo?
    Last edited by teebob21; 12-09-2015 at 09:28 PM. Reason: domain for titan