starting strength gym

Thread: OHP Technique

Default OHP Technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been pressing overhead for a while now (I am cutting now) and my technique looks horrible.

What should I do?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtDyLWjDt2k

Are you trying to 1.0 or 2.0?

You're pushing the bar out in front of you and failing to shrug hard at the top of each rep. Regardless of the answer to my question, fix both these things pronto, stat, ASAP, and/or yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post

You're pushing the bar out in front of you and failing to shrug hard at the top of each rep. Regardless of the answer to my question, fix both these things pronto, stat, ASAP, and/or yesterday.
    Are those hands a little wide as well?

Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    Are those hands a little wide as well?
    I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post

I am trying to do 1.0.
    So I should just keep the bar closer to me? I have no idea how to "shrug hard at the top of each rep" :/

Quote Originally Posted by ofekha001 View Post
    I am trying to do 1.0.
    So I should just keep the bar closer to me? I have no idea how to "shrug hard at the top of each rep" :/
    You don't even straighten out your elbows let alone shrug out. Maybe it's your grip being a bit too wide that hinders that. Work on 2.0. You can get more weight.
    Last edited by carson; 12-31-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You don't even straighten out your elbows let alone shrug out. Maybe it's your grip being a bit to wide that hinders that. Work on 2.0. You can get more weight.
    Its too hard to work on 2.0
    I tried it before, but I cant seem to use "leg drive" correctly

Its too hard to work on 2.0
    I tried it before, but I cant seem to use "leg drive" correctly
    Maybe that's because you're thinking of it as leg drive rather than a dynamic hip extension.

You should aim for your nose/forehead. I sometimes tell lifters to knock their imaginary baseball caps off their heads with the bar.

You have no idea how to shrug at the top of each rep? Do you know how to tie your shoelaces? Feed yourself with a fork? Then you can figure out how to shrug. It's not rocket surgery, my man. Shove the bar 6 inches closer to the ceiling than you currently are without going up on your tippy toes.

A visit with a certified SS coach could help you.

starting strength coach development program
    Just try to start popping with your hips right now. It won't be perfect, but it will at least give you a little pop off the bottom. I just started doing 2.0 too, so I know it just takes practice. The closer you can keep the bar to your face the better. I think about it the same way I do as benching. I sort of push it ramping it up towards my face and then getting it over my head. If you do it right, the bar will feel very balanced like it does on benching.