starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat help- knee pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes. I think that I will be able to implement these and hopefully clean my squat up a bit.

For this week I think I will just miss my L day squats tonight (still do deadlifts as normal but be cautious with lockout) and try to let my knee heal up a touch (might do the hip blocking drills though,) and on my M day I will use 90% of the load shown here and try and implement what you have all described. Then I will do some TUBOW drills. I will post my results and then make a decision whether or not I will proceed at my planned work weight next week (77.5x4x5) or take a break and do more correction drills. I am 10 weeks out from my comp so I don't want to completely fuck my knee up, and I also don't want to wimp out and rest unnecessarily.

Anyway, I'll be back to post my M day work on Friday. Thank you all very much for your help. I have printed this page out and highlighted the advice/cues and really hope something clicks on the day.

Hi, just a quick update-

My knees are feeling ok, I have been really focused on recovery this week. I saw the physio last night who dry needled my ITB and gave me a pretty full on massage on ITB, hamstrings and adductors. I then went to the gym, smashed out bench L day (dumbbell stuff) and then foam rolled the crap out of my quads, and stretched everything. I hit some pretty good trigger points and things feel a bit DOMSy but good in a way. So I plan to go ahead with my squat M day tonight. (I separate squat/deadlift days away from bench days so my sessions are shorter and I have a larger training capacity for bench volume without it being impacted by squats/deadlifts too much. It's standard HLM only run over 6 short sessions rather than 3 larger sessions per week. My bench seriously sucked before and I hated doing two big lifts per session.)

I will do 3x3 (minimising volume as to not interrupt the healing process) at 90% my H day (67.5kgs) working on achieving perfect depth and correcting backwards hip/knee slide out of the bottom of the hole, will film the sets.

I will then do sets of fives at 40kgs with TUBOW until I feel like I have it feeling good. I will film a set just to make sure I am doing it properly.

If this all goes well and on Monday my knee feels 80% + then I will go ahead with my planned worksets of 77.5x4x5. If my knee feels worse then I will take my scheduled deload week early, let my knee heal up and reprogram my comp prep accordingly. Probably with far less volume and focused more on hitting high intensity reps with good form.
    Last edited by Aimee; 02-04-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Well, I did everything as described above. Used some different video angles to try and see if I could pick up any form issues not shown by the standard rear 45.

Set 1

Set 2

TUBOW

Knee pain is not any better/worse at this stage. Lets call it 75% right now.

Agree with mgilchrest. Looks like you fixed the depth, the bottom of the hole knee slide and you look like you're staying with your hips on the ascent. Good squats. If you can keep with these and the pain is tolerable and doesn't noticeably increase I'd keep at it. I'd hate to see you lose ground this close to the meet. Best of luck!

Thanks guys... Going forward I may just need less squat volume. 5x5 may just not be ideal for me. Everything else is going fine, getting some pretty sweet bench gains and deadlifts are fine. I think at this stage my depth and knee slide were always an issue that I got away with when I did 5x3 female linear progression stuff. Now that I have upped the progress to weekly and upped the volume, recover is tougher and I just wasn't quite there with form.

It's temping to take next week's planned 5x4 down to 5x3 and just ease back a touch. Even though food and sleep are good the DOMS I've been getting the day after squats has been full on. I figured during early days in a program I could afford to go harder with more volume, and that certainly seems to be working out for me for bench, but yeah the squat H days are brutal.

starting strength coach development program
    How is the training going? I'm a new Starting Strength Coach in Adelaide. I had a look at your videos. On you second set on 67.5kg in the bottom of your squat when you changed direction your knees were shifting quickly forwards and back. This could have been contributing to your knee pain. You didn't do it on your third rep.

I realise this comes a long time after this was initially posted. I am just searching the forum to see how many people from Adelaide are doing the program.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12