Thread: Squat Form Check/Help

Default Squat Form Check/Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there,

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: ~210lbs

Unfortunately, there are no SS coaches in the Denver area, and this is my first post to the forum (I've done my best to follow the guidelines, but if I've broken any cardinal rules, yell at me... it builds character). Started running SS again a few weeks back after running it for a few months years ago (when I got up to about 255, but I was in college, eating like a king, and fearless). I have been working back up, but my form has never felt "right", and no matter how much I feel I shove my knees out, I feel like I always run out of room in my hips; to get lower, I feel I have to compensate with my low back, especially on my right side. I feel like I can engage my posterior chain effectively on my left side, but I still have a hard time feeling like it's engaged on the right. I've also been experiencing some pain/tightness in my right hip/low back (my right spinal erectors are MUCH more developed than my left). Any advice is appreciated.

Link to video --> Squat
    (if it looks fuzzy, make it full screen to solve the issue)

Last working set, 5x175 lbs. Unfortunately, I work out at a gym on my own where most people are clueless, so this was filmed by a trainer who shortly after this video told me I shouldn't squat that low, and not surprisingly, had trouble following simple instructions ("Please try to keep the camera steady...")

These are high bar squats, with the bar in the low bar position on your back.

Initiate your squat with more hip flexion; bend at the hips! (cue "nipples to the floor!). Don't confuse straight, rigid torso for a vertical torso. Also, look down at a point 3-4 feet in front of you. This will help you achieve a more horizontal torso. We look down when we squat!

Posterior chain tightness is a function of hip and knee angle. With your fairly open hip angle and closed knee angle, your hamstrings are slacked. A low bar back squat will produce a more horizontal torso, closed hip angle and opened knee angle, resulting in stretched hip extensors. This is the stretch reflex you are looking for.

Try the above cues while shoving your knees out, and you should be able to feel a stretch reflex and hit depth without rounding your lower back.
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 02-20-2016 at 08:45 PM.

Adam is spot on. In addition (consider this yelling if it helps), get at least 3" to 4" deeper.

You guys rock. Thank you for such quick responses. I'll upload another video on Tuesday.

Posting update in new post.
    Last edited by brainwalsh; 02-24-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Posting update in new post.