starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check please

Default Squat check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everybody, I would like to get comments about my Squat
    Set 1

set 2(didn't have enough memory for 5 reps)

set 3

The Squat feels weird, I don't know how to explain this. The grip is very uncomfortable, the bar is slipping of my back. I will buy some chalk tomorrow and try it. In adittion, I see that my heels are moving and I think that maybe the squat is liitle bit high.
    Waiting for comments, thank you!

These really don't look too bad, based on the suboptimal viewing angle. The biggest problems I see are that you relax your lumbar as you hit bottom (lower back flattens, then rounds), and your knees are sliding forward a bit; they never really stop moving forward. Cue yourself "big chest", especially as you approach the bottom. Get your knees out over your toes in the first third of your descent, then keep them there. Don't slow down so much as you approach the bottom; stay tight and rebound. These look okay for depth, but some of your depth is achieved by relaxing your lumbar at the bottom. Stay tight. A video from the rear at about 45 degrees is preferable for squat form checks.

As far the bar slipping on your back, we can't see if the bar is in the right position. This could be caused by a slick shirt material, lack of knurling on the center of the bar, or the bar being a little too low. It should feel secure there and not move around.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hanson View Post
    These really don't look too bad, based on the suboptimal viewing angle. The biggest problems I see are that you relax your lumbar as you hit bottom (lower back flattens, then rounds), and your knees are sliding forward a bit; they never really stop moving forward. Cue yourself "big chest", especially as you approach the bottom. Get your knees out over your toes in the first third of your descent, then keep them there. Don't slow down so much as you approach the bottom; stay tight and rebound. These look okay for depth, but some of your depth is achieved by relaxing your lumbar at the bottom. Stay tight. A video from the rear at about 45 degrees is preferable for squat form checks.

As far the bar slipping on your back, we can't see if the bar is in the right position. This could be caused by a slick shirt material, lack of knurling on the center of the bar, or the bar being a little too low. It should feel secure there and not move around.
    Hey, thank you for the comment.
    During the first set if the squat I'm starting to sweat and then my hands become wet and the bar is slipping of my hands. As a result I'm not able to engage my lats and push the bar into my back, maybe for this reason I can't maintain a "big chest" position and maintain tightness during the squat. I will try to fix it with some chalk.
    About the knees, I know that in the bottom my knees should be little foward from my toes but I'm not able to do it, even with the lifting shoes. I'm just break with my hips and going down and keep my knees parllel to the feet. I don't know how to bring my knees to the right position or what is the best position. Thank you again!
    Last edited by Pain&Gain1; 02-22-2016 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain&Gain1 View Post
    Hey, thank you for the comment. During the first set if the squat I'm starting to sweat and then my hands become wet and the bar is slipping of my hands. As a result I'm not able to engage my lats and push the bar into my back, maybe for this reason I can't maintain a "big chest" position and maintain tightness during the squat. I will try to fix it with some chalk.
    No. The hands and bar do not control thoracic extension. How do your lats extend your thoracic spine?

Yes, use chalk.

About the knees, I know that in the bottom my knees should be little foward from my toes but I'm not able to do it, even with the lifting shoes. I'm just break with my hips and going down and keep my knees parllel to the feet. I don't know how to bring my knees to the right position or what is the best position. Thank you again!
    It's in the book. You use the bottom position without the bar to set your back angle and shin angle/knee position so that you can get depth. Once you know where everything needs to be, then you add the bar. You need to then learn how to keep your knees in the right position, i.e., you need to learn the movement properly.

See here for the solution:

How to Use the TUBOW | Starting Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    No. The hands and bar do not control thoracic extension. How do your lats extend your thoracic spine?

Yes, use chalk.

It's in the book. You use the bottom position without the bar to set your back angle and shin angle/knee position so that you can get depth. Once you know where everything needs to be, then you add the bar. You need to then learn how to keep your knees in the right position, i.e., you need to learn the movement properly.

See here for the solution:

How to Use the TUBOW | Starting Strength
    I don't say they control the thoratic extention. I say that it's difficult to lift your chest and maintain upper back tightness while you are holding the bar with only two fingers and it's about to fall. I have just bought some chalk.
    I tried a TUBOW and I found that I had been wrong. My knees pass my toes. I think that my stance was too wide, I took narrower stance and my knees wasn't moving.
    I will hit the gym tomorrow and I will try to fix the errors. Thank you very much!

I don't say they control the thoratic extention. I say that it's difficult to lift your chest and maintain upper back tightness while you are holding the bar with only two fingers and it's about to fall.
    Obviously we cannot see the bar or your hand position in the videos you posted. Make sure you get your palms onto the bar and that you are not "holding" the bar in place with your hands/arms. If in the correct position, your hands should merely be pressing the bar into your back. Coincidentially, Rip just reposted this for your reference: The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

Obviously we cannot see the bar or your hand position in the videos you posted. Make sure you get your palms onto the bar and that you are not "holding" the bar in place with your hands/arms. If in the correct position, your hands should merely be pressing the bar into your back. Coincidentially, Rip just reposted this for your reference: The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube
    I have already seen this video, it helped me a lot. I think my grip is fine.
    this is a ster from yestreday:

I know my lumber spine is relaxed at the bottom but it happens at the very end of the decent, is it so bad? Thanks!
    Last edited by Pain&Gain1; 02-24-2016 at 01:02 PM.

[QUOTE=Pain&Gain1;1262717I know my lumber spine is relaxed at the bottom but it happens at the very end of the decent, is it so bad? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Depends on what you mean by "so bad". There is more spinal flexion than I would like to see. In addition, your knees are moving around and sliding forward at the bottom and as you start up out of the bottom. The bar appears to be out over your toes, although this may be an illusion from camera angle (it does not look illusory).

Lumbar flexion: You may be overarching at the top. Start with normal lumbar spine extension, take a big breath, brace like someone is going to punch you in the midsection, and maintain that throughout the ROM.

Knees: Get them forward slightly past your toes in the first half of your descent, then keep them there the rest of the descent. Try TUBOW.

Bar over toes?: Do you feel like the weight is on the balls of your feet in the hole?

starting strength coach development program
    Depends on what you mean by "so bad". There is more spinal flexion than I would like to see. In addition, your knees are moving around and sliding forward at the bottom and as you start up out of the bottom. The bar appears to be out over your toes, although this may be an illusion from camera angle (it does not look illusory).

Lumbar flexion: You may be overarching at the top. Start with normal lumbar spine extension, take a big breath, brace like someone is going to punch you in the midsection, and maintain that throughout the ROM.

Knees: Get them forward slightly past your toes in the first half of your descent, then keep them there the rest of the descent. Try TUBOW.

Bar over toes?: Do you feel like the weight is on the balls of your feet in the hole?
    Maybe I was leaning to much forward although I felt in balance.
    I take a big breath and I try my best to shove the knees out, I follow the book but but I'm still failing in doing the squat correctly.
    Today the workout has been horrible , I will try TUBOW and fix my form in the next workout. Thank you!