starting strength gym

Thread: Critique my squat please

Default Critique my squat please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Working back from a basketball knee injury, weight still pretty light.

1x7 @ 265 first rep sucks 1x7 at 265 squat - YouTube

1x1 @ 315 ("joker" set after a good deal of volume to close the day...slow out of hole) Joker set 1x1 at 305 - YouTube

Finished SSLP last year, working now off of a modified Texas Method slash 5/3/1.

BTW, my self-critique is that I seem to have a slight hitch where my hips rise without correlated chest rise (good morning), and on some reps my knees continue to travel for too long.

Your assessment is pretty good. Reps 5 and 7 were the best. The others suffer from knees moving forward throughout the descent and hips moving back first instead of up out of the hole. Get your knees over your toes in the first 1/3 to 1/2 of your descent and keep them there as you bottom out. Try TUBOW if necessary. Drive your hips straight up out of the bottom. Hips moving back is what is causing your "hitch". Your single at 315 looked decent. Think "knees out". Lots of good things in these squats, but you can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hanson View Post
    Your assessment is pretty good. Reps 5 and 7 were the best. The others suffer from knees moving forward throughout the descent and hips moving back first instead of up out of the hole. Get your knees over your toes in the first 1/3 to 1/2 of your descent and keep them there as you bottom out. Try TUBOW if necessary. Drive your hips straight up out of the bottom. Hips moving back is what is causing your "hitch". Your single at 315 looked decent. Think "knees out". Lots of good things in these squats, but you can do better.
    Hey, thanks a lot Scott. I really appreciate the feedback.

(You could probably do Linear Progression again.)