starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and press check

Default Squat and press check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi interwebz, just posting a form check to make sure I'm still heading in the right direction. Cleaned up my form (knee slide and knee cave, and a tenancy to dive-bomb), got that OK'd, and wanting to make sure I'm still good to go. I'm not sure if I'm quite hitting depth, although it certainly feels like it.

Also, whilst we're here, could you check my press form? It's a really crappy lift for me. Yep, I realise I lose balance after the fourth rep.

Thanks in advance.

Squat depth is questionable. Those all looked high to me, but I am an awful judge of depth.

When using the Press 2.0 model, you have to get tighter across your entire body. That will allow you to rebound from the hip bump. You are not rebounding right now.

Thanks blugold. I'm terrible with judging depth too. I'm quite happy so far - I had the opposite problem of loosening up at the bottom to achieve depth and ended up with tendonitis for years. Miraculously stopped as soon as I stopped that, so just getting an inch or two lower is definitely achievable.
    As for the press, I hate it. I'm utterly crap at the whole damn thing. But tighter I shall get.

You need to go deeper. Do this by sitting down/back more. You may find yourself leaning over more - this is ok.

With light weight, really practice using the hip whip to throw the bar up. You do it mostly right, but you never pop your hips back and shoulders up. I'd wear a belt too. You'll get it.

I think the Tommy Suggs Olympic press video is the best one. I don't know if rip still has it up.

Sorry for the late post, went on holiday. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll work on those on Monday, and find the Tommy Suggs video over the weekend.
    In regards to the squat, how much deeper do I need to get? I may have it already based on the squats I did after posting the video. I'll try to get some more filmed next week.
    Last edited by Bassist_Phil; 03-05-2016 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Typo

starting strength coach development program
    Try for 2 inches deeper, you might not get it but it should feel like you're going that much more. You might want to try doing a pause on a few reps of your warmup and really feel the sitting back, weight on mid foot, deep position.