starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critique my Squat (Multiple Angles)

Default Critique my Squat (Multiple Angles)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I have been doing Starting Strength for about 2.5 months and I have been experiencing some difficulties with knee pain and a tight right hip. The working sets that I have linked below are 235x5. I managed to hit what I thought was a decent 275x5 squat about two weeks ago but upon self inspection I realized that I was barely hitting parallel and my stance was too wide. I have since adjusted my stance position and have made a concerted effort to go below parallel on every rep. However I now have concerns that I may be going too low and could be losing tightness at the bottom.

I realize that my speed needs a considerable amount of work and I may need yet another deload to work on it.

I am 5'10 and 168lbs at 20 years old.

Squat Form Check - YouTube

note: I just realized that the side view of the squat is slightly cut off at the bottom but it should show enough to get a decent idea of where I'm at.

Bar speed would be the last thing to address, in my opinion. I cannot see anything terribly wrong, but I'll say a couple of things. One, the bar is leaning on your left, so either you're leaning on your left, or gripping the bar asymetrically. It is hard to tell, but I think your right elbow is higher than your left. Also, the wrist angle is wrong. Two, stance width is OK, I think. But it seems you have your toes out too much for my taste. Try bringing them in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Whey and Steak View Post
    Hello,

I have been doing Starting Strength for about 2.5 months and I have been experiencing some difficulties with knee pain and a tight right hip. The working sets that I have linked below are 235x5. I managed to hit what I thought was a decent 275x5 squat about two weeks ago but upon self inspection I realized that I was barely hitting parallel and my stance was too wide. I have since adjusted my stance position and have made a concerted effort to go below parallel on every rep. However I now have concerns that I may be going too low and could be losing tightness at the bottom.

I realize that my speed needs a considerable amount of work and I may need yet another deload to work on it.

I am 5'10 and 168lbs at 20 years old.

Squat Form Check - YouTube

note: I just realized that the side view of the squat is slightly cut off at the bottom but it should show enough to get a decent idea of where I'm at.
    Are you intending to high-bar squat or low-bar?

Thank you for your prompt response.

Do you think that the bar leaning to the left could have anything to do with the tightness in my right hip? When I squat down I feel restricted right where my upper leg attaches to my groin area. I feel as though this could be causing my right knee to cave in which could be the explanation for my knee pain. I'm currently on the ibuprofen schedule that Coach Rip suggests but I am worried that the minute I go off of it the pain will return again.

I also have footage of my 175lb squat from the side. If you don't mind taking a look at it I will post it when I get home from work at about 4:30pm. I want to know if my form was truly as bad as I thought it was because I've had to do a pretty significant deload that set me back about two weeks. My ego would love any excuse to add more weight to the bar faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Are you intending to high-bar squat or low-bar?
    I have convinced myself that I'm doing a hybrid between the two but honestly I'm probably doing closer to a high bar squat. This is my second attempt at the Starting Strength program. The first time I tried it was about 6 months ago and I seriously tweaked my back a couple of times because I was doing an exaggerated goodmorning when standing up from the low bar squat. I bought myself some squat shoes and felt more comfortable with the vertical torso angle so I haven't gone back. I should probably build up my abdominal strength and increase ankle/hip mobility before I go back to low bar. I think what really drew me to the high bar was that I simply felt more activation in the legs as opposed to the lower back. Then again I'm sure my form wasn't perfect.

I have convinced myself that I'm doing a hybrid between the two but honestly I'm probably doing closer to a high bar squat. This is my second attempt at the Starting Strength program. The first time I tried it was about 6 months ago and I seriously tweaked my back a couple of times because I was doing an exaggerated goodmorning when standing up from the low bar squat. I bought myself some squat shoes and felt more comfortable with the vertical torso angle so I haven't gone back. I should probably build up my abdominal strength and increase ankle/hip mobility before I go back to low bar. I think what really drew me to the high bar was that I simply felt more activation in the legs as opposed to the lower back. Then again I'm sure my form wasn't perfect.
    Where is the bar on your back?

Where is the bar on your back?
    I believe it rests at the top of my traps just below the back of the neck.

brb currently using an iphone charger to simulate the bar on my back. Co-workers could best be described as perplexed.
    Last edited by Whey and Steak; 03-08-2016 at 08:19 AM.

I believe it rests at the top of my traps just below the back of the neck.

brb currently using an iphone charger to simulate the bar on my back. Co-workers could best be described as perplexed.
    No need to photograph it. I was attempting to sound clever and imply that if you buy into the analysis of most weight moved by most muscle mass over lingest effective ROM makes you stronger the most effectively and efficiently, it follows logically that the bar needs to move down your back a few inches...

No need to photograph it. I was attempting to sound clever and imply that if you buy into the analysis of most weight moved by most muscle mass over lingest effective ROM makes you stronger the most effectively and efficiently, it follows logically that the bar needs to move down your back a few inches...
    Great! Thank you for your advice. Do you think switching to low bar will help take some of the pressure off my knees? This is my main concern because the pain has been consistent for the last two weeks and if I don't find a more permanent solution than ibuprofen I may have to consider taking time off. Also, do you think this adjustment will allow me to lift more weight? Should I continue with the weight I've been using and proceed as usual or should I lower it a bit and focus on form?

Thanks again for helping me out.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Great! Thank you for your advice. Do you think switching to low bar will help take some of the pressure off my knees?
    Assuming you squat correctly, yes.

Also, do you think this adjustment will allow me to lift more weight?
    Yes. Unless you have freakish proportions, low bar will almost always be more weight than high bar. This is because low bar uses more muscle mass.

Should I continue with the weight I've been using and proceed as usual or should I lower it a bit and focus on form?
    I'd just use the method of determining your first work set in the book and progress from there. It'll take some adjustment, and we're in this for the long game...no need to rush things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast