starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check (Follow up)

Default Squat Form Check (Follow up)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Previous thread: Squat form check please

245 @ 200lbs. (Final set of 5)

I think the only cue I seemed to implement here is finishing standing up. Other than that I still seem to collapse a bit.

These were my hardest squats to date and I think you can tell when watching the video.

Thanks!

I see slight improvements in all three areas. Flex your quads a little more at lock out; you look like you still have slight knee flexion. The pre-squat bounce is almost gone. Starting fully locked out will stop this I suspect. Keep thinking drive up the chest. The collapse is barely there and you've added 10 lbs. If you know the guy squatting next to you in the background, give him some coaching. He could learn a lot by watching you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hanson View Post
    I see slight improvements in all three areas. Flex your quads a little more at lock out; you look like you still have slight knee flexion. The pre-squat bounce is almost gone. Starting fully locked out will stop this I suspect. Keep thinking drive up the chest. The collapse is barely there and you've added 10 lbs. If you know the guy squatting next to you in the background, give him some coaching. He could learn a lot by watching you.
    Thanks a lot for this. I sort of know him but I learned years ago that sometimes people don't wanna be taught. If he asked for advice I'd gladly give it to him.

Stay in your hips till the very end, you're lifting your chest a little bit early on the ascent.

1- You're over-gripping the bar. Notice on the ascent your wrist goes into flexion over the bar and the plates begin to spin. Try narrowing your grip if at all possible. You may also also be over cueing your elbows up. Don't push them up, just hold them back and focus on keeping the bar tight against the back. The contraction through the arms is isometric, not concentric... just stay tight. By over cueing the elbows "up", it looks like your actually pushing the bar up on the back. This starts on rep 2. Are your fingers over the bar?
    2- Stay in your hips to the end. You're shifting forward into the knees towards the end of the rep. Not a big deal right now but it could cause trouble later.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Milstein View Post
    1- You're over-gripping the bar. Notice on the ascent your wrist goes into flexion over the bar and the plates begin to spin. Try narrowing your grip if at all possible. You may also also be over cueing your elbows up. Don't push them up, just hold them back and focus on keeping the bar tight against the back. The contraction through the arms is isometric, not concentric... just stay tight. By over cueing the elbows "up", it looks like your actually pushing the bar up on the back. This starts on rep 2. Are your fingers over the bar?
    2- Stay in your hips to the end. You're shifting forward into the knees towards the end of the rep. Not a big deal right now but it could cause trouble later.
    1) I see what you mean. My hands are in sort of a fist with my thumbs over the bar and the heel of my palm pressing against. I'm not cueing elbows up, but I see what you're talking about. I've felt the bar creep up before.

2) I think the shift is happening because I'm feeling some pain in my glutes/hamstrings on the ascent and I think I'm shifting into my quads to bare the load. It's been this way for some time now with squats once I get over a certain weight. I've never had it looked at, and it could be mental for all I know. I'll work on staying in my hips more.

Thanks for the notes.