starting strength gym

Thread: Struggling with Squat (bar + hip position) and 2 other questions

Default Struggling with Squat (bar + hip position) and 2 other questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thank you for taking a look at my questions. The feedback on the forum has been encouraging and a great help. I just started posting in the Intermediate forum (rightly or not) and am trying to improve technically across the board. My log can be found here: retired LACROSSE Player gets STRONG(er)

Technique Questions
    My squat has been causing me a lot of left shoulder pain lately. Even though I have tried widening my grip, I can see that my left elbow is still higher than my right and either a symptom or cause of the pain. Maybe there is a bar position issue? Additionally, the video shows that I am not getting great hip drive. Maybe the two are correlated? Either way please advise.

YouTube

I have never focused too much effort on my deadlift, so I am hoping to get feedback on yesterday's set. My grip is weak, so that is typically the limiting factor. I have gone to hook grip and feel ok with it. Any feedback is appreciated.

Deadlift 305 x 5RM - YouTube

If you have gotten this far, maybe you can help me with my pendlay row as well. Here is the 3 set of 10 from yesterday:
    Pendlay Row 115 x 10 (3rd Set) - YouTube

The squat video is set to private.

Deadlift looks pretty good to me. The finish is a bit too extended in the hips. Just stand up, lock out the knees, and show your chest.

Someone else will have to weigh in on the Pendlay rows.

rows start with a slight break in the hip to pull the bar off the floor. your rowing with a flat back. I tend to extend my back like you would in a dl.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    The squat video is set to private.
    Thanks for the heads up. How about now: Squat 285 x 5RM - YouTube

Get your knees set sooner and sit back farther. depth was questionable on many reps, I bet because of the knee slide. Also, do not return the bar to the rack like that. Jeebus you're going to kill somebody.

You're 29yo, 6' tall, you weigh 186, your squat 5RM is 295, and you're on a 4 day split Texas method intermediate template.

YNDTP.

Go back to your linear progression. Eat 4-5,000 calories every single day. Bring your weight up to a minimum of 200lbs. MINIMUM.

The angle on the video isn't great. The upright on the rack is blocking the view as is the bro who walks in front of the camera.

Look down lower. Set both your eye gaze and head position low. Eyes set 4-6' in front of your on the floor and chin tucked down as though you're holding a tennis ball. I can't see the rack position but I would like to. Please strongly consider investing in a belt.

Eat more food. A lot more food.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Milstein View Post
    You're 29yo, 6' tall, you weigh 186, your squat 5RM is 295, and you're on a 4 day split Texas method intermediate template.

YNDTP.

Go back to your linear progression. Eat 4-5,000 calories every single day. Bring your weight up to a minimum of 200lbs. MINIMUM.

The angle on the video isn't great. The upright on the rack is blocking the view as is the bro who walks in front of the camera.

Look down lower. Set both your eye gaze and head position low. Eyes set 4-6' in front of your on the floor and chin tucked down as though you're holding a tennis ball. I can't see the rack position but I would like to. Please strongly consider investing in a belt.

Eat more food. A lot more food.
    Thank you for the candid advice Noah. I made the TM switch after stalling on LP. Maybe I wasn't keeping my bw up high enough to sustain though.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    Get your knees set sooner and sit back farther. depth was questionable on many reps, I bet because of the knee slide. Also, do not return the bar to the rack like that. Jeebus you're going to kill somebody.
    Thank you for the notes. Your point about sitting back was of particular value. It feels much better now.