starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    I would just add that (in the absence of a good coach) you should video EVERY set you perform and review it immediately. This includes your warmups. Read the SS coaches forum above and this training forum to see lots of examples of what to do and what not to do. Don't be afraid to put some light training plates on the bar and work on technique for an entire workout.
    I do exactly that, plus I review my sets on my computer at home. It has helped a lot, and I wish I had done it from the beginning. Between checking the videos, reading and re-reading the relevant sections of the books, and using the resources on this website, my form and lifts keep improving. When I think I've finally gotten it right, I'll post a video here to find out what I haven't been seeing.

Is the form good enough to start going heavy, i.e. doing the actual program? Or do I need to keep practicing form only?

Quote Originally Posted by frames View Post
    Is the form good enough to start going heavy, i.e. doing the actual program? Or do I need to keep practicing form only?
    Why aren't you already doing the program?

My gym only has a personal trainer. I don't know how to find this coach you're talking about. I live in Sweden. I did go to a "workshop" a while back at a weighlifting club, on deadlift, but in my opinion it was a waste of time and money, didn't learn anything there.
    Where in Sweden do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Why aren't you already doing the program?
    I'm doing the program except for deadlift, because I was unsure if the form was good enough that I could push myself hard without injuring myself. And also because I have to reread the book, because I don't know whether I should go to failure on the deadlift, and I haven't gotten much response when I've asked about that on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 57bergstrm View Post
    Where in Sweden do you live?
    Stockholm

Me to, I know there are two good powerlifting gyms, one in Jakobsberg and one in Sundbyberg.
    And the nearest SS coach is in Helsinki, I never been there, but I plan to go there sometime this year, take the boat, eat well, train, eat, sleep and take the boat back.

starting strength coach development program
    And also because I have to reread the book, because I don't know whether I should go to failure on the deadlift, and I haven't gotten much response when I've asked about that on the forum.
    You are correct that you must read the book. Not sure what you mean by "go to failure" in this case.

If you follow the step-by-step instructions in the book EXACTLY, then there is no way you can give yourself a scary injury.

You should already be doing the program exactly as written. Do not be afraid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12